Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #58720 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
 "Malignant neoplasm of lateral wall of bladder" . Does that mean it isn't a papillary tumor like last time? 

It means you have an abnormal growth (just like last time) located on the lateral bladder wall. I'd guess it's likely a papillary tumor (just like last time) that grows from the bladder lining and looks like long, thin “finger-like” growths. I hope that the cells, when examined by a pathologist, are low grade and the neoplasm was limited to the bladder lining, hence non invasive.

Won't know for sure until the pathology report is available.

Good luck today.

PS. I'm writing this with a bladder full of BCG. Waiting for that 2 hour alarm to ring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58711 by doglover
Replied by doglover on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
Having surgery on Tuesday. Doctor's report says "Malignant neoplasm of lateral wall of bladder" . Does that mean it isn't a papillary tumor like last time? Last time my tumor was a low grade papillary tumor with no lamina propria or muscle invasion.

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)
Second recurrence discovered June 8, 2020 six months later.

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #58680 by Knifedealer
doglover asked ... "How many TURBT procedures have you had? Did it suddenly become high grade after the first one, or was it after a second recurrence?"

I had my first ever TURBT last fall (2018), same time as yours. Two very small, low grade non invasive tumors were removed. The high grade cells were discovered only after a second TURBT that I had this fall.

"So you were given mitomycin when two low grade tumors were removed, and then high grade tumors grew?" Exactly, I was given MMC at the time of first TURBT yet within a year more were found, these being high grade. You asked if a recurrence a year later is a bad sign? Do more usually follow? I believe that a recurrence within a year bumps up the risk level a notch: increasing the chance of recurrence, or stage advancement, or maybe both, or maybe neither (I've read so much about this I'm at the stage of information overload).

"Were they in the same location?" Honestly, I'm unsure.

By the way, when discussing the need for a second TURBT, my urologist said that he too occasionally will perform a biopsy (essentially a TURBT) in his office, conditions permitting. He told me that some folks would just rather bite the bullet and get it over with than deal with the hassle of day surgery. I'm not one of "those folks."

So far it appears that our paths have been similar. I hope the difference will be in the outcome of your second TURBT: the cancer that has revisited you is deemed once again, low grade.

As Sara Anne asked, please let us know what you decide and what the pathology report says.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doglover

4 years 3 months ago #58676 by doglover
Replied by doglover on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
Knifedealer,
Thank you for your response. I remember reading your posts because you were diagnosed and treated the same time I was. In November we both had low grade papillary tumors with no lamina propria or muscle invasion.
How many TURBT procedures have you had? Did it suddenly become high grade after the first one, or was it after a second recurrence?
So you were given mitomycin when two low grade tumors were removed, and then high grade tumors grew? Were they in the same location?
I was surprised that the Urologists' first reaction was to cauterize it in the office that day. She said she had done many this way. She saw my hesitation, and decided I would not be happy with such incomplete information. As Sara.anne noted also, there would be nothing given for pain. I was concerned that I would not know exactly what it was.
Adding you to my prayer list, and perhaps you will add me to yours.
Thank you for sharing your information.
doglover.

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)
Second recurrence discovered June 8, 2020 six months later.

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #58672 by Knifedealer
"I told her [doglover] I can't ensure a full resection or good pathology sample in the clinic"

That would seal the deal for me: OR setting. With it comes the availability of deeper general anesthesia.

I had a reoccurrence recently, within a year of my first TURBT in Nov. 2018. Back then a single dose of mitomycin was instilled immediately after 2 very small, low grade tumors were removed. Was it helpful for me? The pathology report from most recent TURBT (done in an OR setting, BTW) shows small high-grade tumors.

The tissue sent to the lab did include muscle, which was not invaded by cancer cells. Your urologist wisely noted for the record that she informed you that she won't guarantee "a full resection or good pathology sample" if done in clinic. A good pathology sample would include muscle tissue (muscularis propria).

I'm off to clinic tomorrow for 1st BCG instillation, disappointed, yet hopeful. My best to you. Please keep us posted.

4 years 3 months ago #58671 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
It is hard to say. It may never come back again.

Let us know what you decide and what the pathology report says.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne