Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor

4 years 3 months ago #58670 by doglover
Replied by doglover on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
Sara.anne,
If if is just one year, is that considered a bad sign??
She did say that the cauterization would be painful without and anesthesia, but that she does these 'small ones' all the time in the office.

I was offered a twilight anesthesia of propofol instead of the full on hospital visit I experienced last time. The procedure would also be TURBT, but she said it would be much faster than the first one.
These were her notes:
PLAN:
Schedule
Procedure: Unspecified Date - Cystoscopy TURBT <2 cm - 52234
Notes: outpatient, MAC, diagnosis: bladder cancer

Notes:
1. set up for cystoscopy and bladder biopsy in a botox slot; she may elect to do this
2. otherwise will plan on biopsy in the OR In 2 weeks under sedation; I told her I can't ensure a full resection or good pathology sample in the clinic

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)
Second recurrence discovered June 8, 2020 six months later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58669 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
Sorry to hear that you have a recurrence, but unfortunately that is not uncommon with bladder cancer. That is one reason it is considered an expensive cancer to treat since we keep having frequent exams.

As for tumor removal, I would want the urologist to remove every bit of it. All I can say about having it done without anesthesia is “OUCH!” I had a small bit of lining taken once when the urologist saw a red spot and IT HURT. General anesthesia should not be taken lightly, but my personal opinion is that it is worth it in this case.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 3 months ago #58668 by doglover
Would appreciate any information or experience with recurrence.
I received a TURBT for a low grade Ta TCC in October of last year.
Today, at the three month check up I was told I had a 1/2 cm tumor. (The first one was 1 1/2 cm) The Urologist said it was in the same general area, right lateral wall, and appeared to be the same type of tumor. She said I could have it removed in the office, or done in the OR.

Is a recurrence a year later a bad sign? Do more usually follow?
I was not given any treatment following the surgery a year ago. She said I did not need Chemo, yet I have read that some places are giving Gemcitabine following removal and patients are having fewer recurrences.
Is an office procedure a good idea, or should I go to the OR?

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)
Second recurrence discovered June 8, 2020 six months later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lapecheronza

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne