Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #58749 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
"She told me it was't cancer" HOORAY !!!!

It's great to hear the best of outcomes once in a while. Gives readers hope. I'm happy for you.

Initially you wrote that the doctor's report said: "Malignant neoplasm of lateral wall of bladder." I assumed malignant meant cancerous therefore my hope for you at the time was for a low-grade cancer. To our pleasant surprise: no cancer at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Regor. I just had my 3rd BCG induction treatment. Just like the 2nd session, there was gross (observable) hematuria (bleeding) and sharp pain but after 8 hours things calmed down and one day later I was back to 100%. No fever, malaise, flu-like symptoms. My hope is that the following 3 treatment sessions mirror the first with respect to negative side effects.

I'm convinced that everyone's journey with bladder cancer unique. Each of us begin the journey with unique physical, psychological, and social assets and liabilities that serve to either support or hinder our recovery.

Best of outcomes to all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doglover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58748 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor

I was one of those who had some side effects from BCG during Induction. Sessions 1-3 really had little to no side effects. Sessions 4-6 I had a fever that progressed with each treatment. By #6 my fever lasted ~appx 4 days.

This was followed by 3 Maintenance sessions where I had a minimal fever for a day.

I am now going back for another 6 re-Induction, so I'll pass on my experiences.

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

4 years 3 months ago #58746 by doglover
Replied by doglover on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor
Monday I received a call from my doctor with the results of the surgery. She had been very optimistic before surgery assuring me that I only needed propofol because this tumor was very small.
Diagnosis:
Posterior wall bladder tumor biopsy:
papillary neoplasm of low malignant potential (PUNLMP)
She told me it was't cancer, and this tumor does not have a tendency to return....however, I still have BC, and recurrence is still possible. This is only one year from my first TURBT.

So I am very thankful to all of the people who prayed for me. I asked the Lord that it would be low grade, but if it could not be cancer that would be really great.

Does anyone know about scaring and incontinence following recurrent TURBT procedures?

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)
Second recurrence discovered June 8, 2020 six months later.

4 years 3 months ago #58745 by doglover
Thank you Knifedealer,
I have not experienced BCG, but I have been placed in supportive contact with another patient who has. I appreciate the detailed explanation.
Drinking that much water and dressing for the cold does present a problem. Since diagnosis, I drink more water than I used to, and I find myself having to make decisions about what I can do. I must always be able to find a restroom, so long car drives and lots of water becomes a problem. And long movies.
I was interested in the result after the tea an honey. I have heard that some people experience fever. Has that been an issue for you?

DX 10-19 First TURB Low grade, non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma pTa. Recurrence 11-19 Second TURB DX Papillary Urothelial Neoplasm of Low Malignant Potential (PUNLMP)

4 years 3 months ago #58724 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Pathology results from Recurrence of tumor

Yes, second BCG treatment was Tuesday (2 days ago). The 2 hour (1 hour, 55 minutes actually) dwell time was without consequence. I set my phone alarm every 15 minutes, rotating like a rotisserie hot dog at the sound of each alarm. I had no urgency whatsoever until I arose, at the 1:52 mark, to prepare for the first void (went to fetch bleach and a huge glass of water), and immediately felt an overwhelming need to urinate. Lesson learned: stay down UNTIL the full 2 hours has passed, if possible. The first void was painless and I assumed this 2nd treatment would be as problem free as the first. Lulled into a false sense of security, I drank my second 16 ounce glass of water, donned my winter gear and headed outside to start my snowblower so as to tackle 12" of snow that fell after a recent storm.

That was a mistake. About 15 minutes later (2 hours and 15 minutes after the instillation) the urge came on fast and strong. I was I full winter gear (temperature was around 20 degrees F) and operating a snow blower with a bladder full of diluted BCG. Run Forrest, run.

Throughout the next 7 hours I drank copious amounts of water and experienced excruciating pain and gross hematuria (observable blood in urine) while urinating. The pain felt like it originated along the urethra and not within the bladder and the pain (razor like) and bleeding ONLY happened toward the end of the urine stream. What's up with that, anyone? Damage done by catheter during instillation, perhaps?

At some point (about 6 1/2 hours after first void) I grew tired of water so I made a cup of tea (Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night) with fermented honey to sweeten (my gal keeps bees). Almost immediately thereafter the bleeding stopped entirely and the pain began to subside. The next morning I awoke feeling a bit run down but within 24 hours after the instillation began I felt entirely myself again.

I'm admittedly a "numbers guy," professionally and personally. With respect to your recent TURBT, I believe the odds are in your favor that the pathology report will once again show low grade, non invasive. While I can understand your anxiousness, especially in light of my experience (low grade > high grade), this process is teaching me that it is best to not become overly concerned about things until I have good reason to.

I hoping the best of all outcomes for you.

4 years 3 months ago #58721 by doglover
Knifedealer,
Have been praying for you. Was this your second BCG treatment? Have you had any side effects to the treatments?

The procedure today went well, only 45 minutes this time. I had a 'twilight' anesthesia with propofol, and was given IV Gentamicin for infection.
I was thinking of you when she told me it was a very small papillary tumor just like last time, and expected the same result. You were told that too and pathology returned with high grade.
So, I am anxiously awaiting results. She said it could be a few days or a week. Praying of course that it is low grade noninvasive. Very glad to went to the OR and not the office.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne