Non-invasive tumors

4 years 4 months ago #58661 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Non-invasive tumors
A second opinion here is a good idea. It will either reinforce your confidence in your current urologist or help you decide to change.

Unfortunately, bladder cancer has the nasty habit of returning, which is why the constant surveillance with cystos. It is possible that the "red spots" are a side effect from the BCG....irritation/cystitis. BUT they do need examining. If they are due to BCG they, of course, wouldn't have been there in July.

I assume that your initial diagnosis was high grade? BCG is very effective for high grade bladder cancer, not so much for low grade.

Let us know how this turns out.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago #58660 by Koifish59th
Non-invasive tumors was created by Koifish59th
I had non-invasive tumor (Stage 1) removed in Nov. 2017, had 6 BCG treatments and a cysto which was clear. In 2018, I had 6 more BCG treatments then a cysto in June, 2019 showed one small cancerous tumor. July 2019 had a 2nd surgery to remove the tumor, which was non-invasive Stage 0. Had six more BCG treatments (1/2 strength). Now this week a cystogram shows "one suspicious area and 5 red spots."
I am scheduled for a surgical biopsy of these areas shortly. My doctor discussed the next treatment--a step up from BCG that is available next for me. He says that the areas are not cancer but need to be looked at. It seems to me and my husband, that they suspicious areas would have shown up in July, 2019, (4 months ago) when I had my second surgery. No/Yes??
I have an appointment with another urologist for a second opinion just to insure we are on the right track.
I am optimistic about my current treatment, but there have been some visits using new people, new equipment and lengthy appt. waits that are shaking my faith a little in my current treatment. We discussed this with the current doctor and the nurse and they have given reasons/excuses for the delays/new people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne