High Grade - non invasive - BCG

4 years 1 month ago #59148 by dbachtel
Replied by dbachtel on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Has my 2nd BCG treatment today. All went well & no side sffects except burning when urinating. I have read sooo much on BCG & still confused on what to expect after week 6. Doc said I'll also have a cystoscopy & possible biopsy couple weeks after last BCG. Guess I'm looking for good news outcome from actual patients

Thanks

Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #58940 by NelsJenn
Replied by NelsJenn on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Dear Sara,

Thanks for the explanation about mitomycin in its dual function. You're such a diamond for us!

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

4 years 2 months ago #58938 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
We may be confusing two different uses of mitomycin here . Often a wash of mitomycin is used after a TURB as a sort of preventative for any possible spread of cancerous tissue due to the procedure. In this way it is being used as a chemo agent .

However it is also used to stimulate the immune system in the same way that BCG does. Mitomycin is used when BCG is not available or when it has been ineffective . Studies have shown that BCG is usually more effective than mitomycin when used in this way .

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #58936 by NelsJenn
Replied by NelsJenn on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
I have had two TURBT and nine BCG infusions. During my second TURBT, I was not given an infusion of mitomycin. This was different from my first TURBT wich included both scraping and a mitomycin infusion. I believe mitomycin is a chemotherapy treatment and BCG is a immunotherapy treatment, and the treatment approaches are different.
Does anyone know the historical effectiveness of mitomycin? I changed urologist and started receiving treatment from UCSF between the two TURBT treatments, and my UCSF urologist told me mitomycin was not necessary since I was going to get BCG infusions.

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

4 years 2 months ago #58935 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Last year there was a shortage of BCG and it was unavailable. In its absence many urologists needed to use mitomycin, which is not quite as effective as BCG (which is the "gold standard" for treatment of non-invasive high grade bladder cancer.) Most urologists are now able to obtain BCG. You might want to a ask your urologist why he/she as not obtained a supply for patients such as you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 2 months ago #58934 by dbachtel
Replied by dbachtel on topic High Grade - non invasive - BCG
Had my 1st treatment today. All went well except I leaked after approx 80 minutes.
Looks like 1 hour is the minimum & doc said I'm ok. The treatment was with Mitomycin instead of BCG.
Can anyone advise why they would give me Mitomycin instead of BCG ???

Thanks

Dennis

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne