Clots and gross blood 3 1/2 weeks after TURBT

4 years 4 months ago #58592 by JigStep
Replied by JigStep on topic Clots and gross blood 3 1/2 weeks after TURBT
I don't want to speculate about the reasons for my recent experience, but I did think it fit under this topic: After 12/18 TURB, I had small clots and occasional visible blood (not gross) around week 7-8. At 3/19 cystoscopy, Doc says it's still healing in there. After 9/19 TURBT, I passed some clots and blood at beginning of week 4. Started BCG about 10 days later, as new tumor was upgraded to HG papillary. Four days after 2nd treatment, gross hematuria and clotting sent me to the ER and the operating room for emergency cauterization of tumor resection site.

7/18 Gross hematuria; 8/18 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, LG, T1; 12/18 TURB: benign urothelial mucosa, cystitis; 9/19 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, HG noninvasive; 6/20 TURB: NED, inflammation; 10/21 TURB. NED, inflammation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HG8, libbygio2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #58587 by Alan
HG8,

Welcome to the site. Please remember we are not doctors here but I believe 4 weeks is simply too long to still be passing clots and blood. I was warned that 10-14 days post I would probably pass a clot and some minor bleeding per the scab however that passed after maybe a day on about day 14.. Plus a 2 CM tumor is not a big tumor. It might be time to get a second opinion for fresh eyes and peace of mind. Perhaps others will chime in with other experience.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HG8, libbygio2

4 years 4 months ago #58586 by HG8
TURBT on Oct 14 to remove 2 cm LG, non-invasive tumor. Had also had had a TURBT in 2015. Approaching four weeks out, I still have periods of gross blood and passing clots. UTI has been ruled out with two cultures. But also have UTI-like symptoms--burning, frequency, etc. No drug was instilled as part of procedure (so no mitomycin, BCG, etc.) Besides a baby aspirin, I take no blood thinners, including supplements that can have that impact.

I am told by URO that post-TURBT bleeding can last three months. But I still wonder how common it is to have gross blood and clots at four weeks. This especially so because, after the first couple of days, I had no visible blood and no clots. All this began after more than two weeks out. BTW, did not have a Foley this time, for which I am grateful! Because of clots, however, I was near retention a few night ago--broke through.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne