Mitomycin vs. BCG

4 years 5 months ago #58521 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Mitomycin vs. BCG
Had second to round of MMC last Friday. No terrible side effects other than painful Catheterization.

But 4 days out my pain upon urgency to urinate is getting worse. Hoping it’s not an infection - they test me for infection each appointment before preparing the MMC.

Not unbearable but something I don’t want to be away from bathroom very long.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #58488 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Mitomycin vs. BCG
Glad you didn't suffer much at all from the first MMC treatment. The one "instillation" I had was given during surgery (TURB) when I was unconscious and the chemical was expelled in the recovery room when a nurse unclamped the catheter. I never saw the color as I was only semi-alert and never thought to look down at the tube. I was just grateful to have that catheter unclamped.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted during your journey.

4 years 5 months ago #58486 by Shacky73
Had my first Mitomycin treatment yesterday. Other than discomfort getting catheterized I haven’t had any real side effects.

Wish they had mentioned that the drug is dark violet. Was a little scary when I saw it coming out :P

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

4 years 5 months ago #58484 by Shacky73
Meant I haven’t had BDG yet and my TB test was negative. 2 requirements of the Tokyo BCG trial.

And No I did not have Mitomycin at time of biopsy. I had asked my Urologist before and he said it isn’t effective in high grade T1.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #58483 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Mitomycin vs. BCG
Glad to read your "second look biopsy" at the end of August was all clear.

What do you mean by "I’ve not received BCG and TB free"?

Did you receive mitomycin (MMC) at the time of your TURBT end of June? I had an intravesical dose administered subsequent to my TURBt last Oct. and given the choice, I'd probably opt for BCG (if available) or gemcitabine should some type of chemical intervention be needed after my upcoming biopsy to remove a small recurrence. I had a horrible reaction from the MMC.

4 years 5 months ago #58478 by Shacky73
I was in process of starting Tokyo BCG Trial since I’ve not received BCG and TB free. Then last minute my Urologist called to say Tokyo Trial is on hold due to problem getting the BCG into US.

I was put on waiting list for BCG. Kept pushing and got call today saying let’s do Mitomycin.

My Urologist and Academic Center will not split BCG dose BTW

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne