BCG side effects and bicycle riding

4 years 8 months ago #57956 by RJake1
Replied by RJake1 on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
I'm a rails to trails rider (Trek hybrid). I had BCG on Weds. Did a 16 mile ride Saturday. Felt fine. Didnt enjoy getting caught in thunderstorm but that's a different story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #57881 by NelsJenn
Replied by NelsJenn on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
Thanks for that comment, Alan. I am going through this BCG treatment thing and it's always great to get your comments.

Regards, Lee

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

4 years 9 months ago #57879 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
We all react differently. Some better, some worse than others. The main thing is this is DOABLE, especially if one is prescribed BCG for their case. The are very few good reasons to NOT do it. Cakewalk, no. However, a lot more tolerable than systemic chemo.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mojodoggy

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #57877 by NelsJenn
Replied by NelsJenn on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
I am considering BCG treatments at this point and it amazes me that you are still able to be so active after your BCG sessions. Didn't your body want to just rest from the fever, chills, and painful urination?

Regards, Lee

Bladder Cancer - Non-Invasive 2019
High Grade - T1
2 TURBT - 2019
9 BCG Infusions - 2019
Ureter Tumor Discovered - 2021

4 years 9 months ago #57816 by DenBoy
Replied by DenBoy on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
I was riding frequently when I had my 6 induction BCG infusions (age 75 at the time). The doctor told me that riding would not be an issue - but I found out at once that there was a related problem: frequency.

I had to pee (small amounts ~ 200cc) every hour or so. No problem at work, but damned annoying on my road bike. It might have been lasting effects from my TURBT.

The BCG musta worked, I'm 80 now, still NED - and I'm riding a metric century this coming weekend.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cynthia, mojodoggy

4 years 9 months ago #57777 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG side effects and bicycle riding
This is, of course, a question for your doctor!! We are not doctors, but I suspect the answer would be that you can do anything you feel like doing. That is the advice most of us get, but we are not BICYCLE RIDERS. (Note the caps...I know the difference between bicycle riding and BICYCLE RIDING!)

The day after the first BCG treatment you may feel completely normal. However, one notable side effect as the immune system kicks in is fatigue that increases as the treatments go on. You will probably take shorter bike rides as a result. BUT it is worth it. BCG can be very effective.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne