1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago#57507by Knifedealer
Good news indeed.
On 11/15/18 I had 2 low grade papillary urothelial carcinomas (negative for lamina propria and muscularis propria invasion) removed. Surgery included an instillation of MMC. For a few days post op, urinating was excruciatingly painful. Fortunately the pain slowly subsided and by Christmas things ... err ... flowed well.
On 3/4/19 I had my first post-TURB cystoscopy. Normal except for a small patch that appeared inflamed. My urologist said it could be irritation from the mitomycin instillation or could be the precursor for a new tumor(s). He suggested we wait, give the bladder some more time to heal and revisit in 3 months. Judging by the way I felt after the TURBt, I believe the MMC wreaked havoc on my bladder lining so I'm hopeful that the reddened area is indeed from the chemo.
Please check back in after your next scope. Best to you until then.
Had my bladder scope today. Small red spot still seen but Doctor said it looks smaller than last time. 1cm vs 1.5cm last scope. He was on the fence as far as scheduling a biopsy now or waiting another 3 months for next scope. He explained to me that as aggressive as CIS is he would have expected to see the spot larger, possibly raised and in other areas. It was agreed upon to have a urine cytology, if it comes back positive the Doctor will schedule a biopsy. Also there is a BCG shortage and the Cleveland Clinic is also affected by it. So back to the waiting game.
While I have learned to simply wait and take one day at a time, the irritation and the difficulty you had on your last treatment I am voting for irritation! At the same time the doc at Cleveland Clinic seems to be following common sense. Waiting for a healing to happen. At the same time it also looks like you should not continues BCG. That is also another discussion to have with him.
Let us know what happens. Someone will be around to listen.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.