Here we go - CIS & BCG

5 years 1 month ago #56724 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG
Regor, I need to comment on your readings about CIS.

There is CIS and CIS. In some cases, particularly breast cancer where it is getting all the attention, something called "CIS" is indeed pre-cancer or maybe not cancer at all. There has been a lot of brough-ha-ha in the press about the "controversy" since most breast cancer surgeons seem to be recommending no treatment at all.

CIS in bladder cancer is totally different. It is a variant of uretheal carcinoma (the one that appears as little "mushrooms" growing up from the bladder surface.) Carcinoma in situ in the bladder appears as a sort of rash on the surface of the bladder. IT IS ALWAYS CONSIDERED HIGH GRADE and is especially dangerous for several reasons. First, because it is high grade, meaning that it has the potential to grow and spread relatively rapidly. Second, because it is not a discrete tumor, it is not possible to confidently remove it surgically, as in just cutting out the little mushrooms. We are very fortunate to have BCG available (when it IS available) since it has been shown to be very effective in the treatment of CIS.

In bladder cancer classifications, it is considered grade TIS.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vh9246

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #56719 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG
You are simply on your way to beating this! One day at a time AND you will be stronger and more effective going forward!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

5 years 1 month ago #56717 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG

I've only been dealing with this for a few months, so I'd welcome any other words of wisdom.
My Staging quote below is from Cancer.org. Seems even in the medical field there's a disagreement into CIS - is it Cancerous or not. I guess for those who say it's not Cancerous (pre-cancerous), CIS would be stage 0. For Cancer.org and others, it has it's own stage of CIS Tis (Bladder Cancer).

With my Doctors advice and treatment, it's a life time of care and observation and I've come to the point of giving up on terminology. I've got Cancer and I'm fighting it!

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vh9246

5 years 1 month ago #56715 by Vh9246
Replied by Vh9246 on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG
Dr told us cis which didn't penetrate the bladder stage 0. so I assume his stage was TIS..although dr never said TIS to us.

5 years 1 month ago #56714 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG

Using the following, CIS is in it's own Stage:

Staging
• T0: No evidence of cancer
• Ta: A non-invasive papillary (finger-like) tumor
• Tis: A non-invasive flat carcinoma (carcinoma in situ)
• T1: Infiltration of the lamina propria
• T2A: Infiltration of the inner muscle

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

5 years 1 month ago #56711 by Vh9246
Replied by Vh9246 on topic Here we go - CIS & BCG
What stage was your CIS?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne