Hot Springs Arkansas T1

17 years 6 hours ago #4625 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Hot Springs Arkansas T1
Personally, Gman, unless you have other contraindications, I'd allow yourself a cup of coffee a day. I did give it up during my treatment and found a freeze dried dandelion drink (rosemary may be able to advise you on this) that was almost as good, without the jangle and is reputedly excellent for the urinary tract.  Tea also has caffeine though not as much. maybe you could make a deal with yourself to take away two cups of tea for one coffee. Also there is evidence that, because of its diuretic effect, coffee can have a positive effect on washing out the bladder. Confusing isn't it! I have a cup in the morning now so it doesn't interfere with my sleep and gets me going for the day. Another thing I like about coffee is that it gets the bowels moving quite nicely!
Welcome aboard from me larry too.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 7 hours ago #4624 by Gman1979
Replied by Gman1979 on topic Hot Springs Arkansas T1
See, that's what bugs me. I get a tumor in my bladder. It's gone. So, I change somethings. Cut coffee completely out of my life. I drink green tea now. Like Ms. Rosemary said, there are conflicting things about green tea. Also, I cut the caffeine out of my diet totally. Some places say it is bad in our situation. However, I just read that there is no correlation between caffeine and bladder cancer reoccurrence. I would certainly like to enjoy coffee every now and again.

What I'm getting at is that it just gets real frustrating trying to figure out what is good and what is not. I wish there was one central source. However, last I checked God doesn't make websites.

I guess its all about gut feelings. I just hope in the end mine are good.

Greg

"I am third."
-Gayle Sayers

17 years 7 hours ago #4623 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Hot Springs Arkansas T1
Larry,

I was diagnosed TaG1 in 12/05, had one TURB, and no BCG's. Had 2 cystoscopies since then, and both were clear. My doctor lets me watch the screen when he does the "poke and peeks", and it really does help with your worries, cuz my bladder LOOKED healthy, you know? no red areas, no bumps (except for the white scar tissue from the tumor removal, and I have to trust that he recognizes it for what it is)... 8-)

I've been downgraded to only one cysto per year now, with a urine cytology every six months. And i'll just keep eating my fiber, broccoli, Oncovite, green tea, and trying to stay healthy, and pray that each year, i get the same good news.!

Stay strong, remain fearless!
Lauren

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

17 years 12 hours ago #4617 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Hot Springs Arkansas T1
Hi Larry,

I just want to add my welcome and thanks for the work that you've been doing in Iraq/Afghanistan.
My son is being reactivated to Army and will be mobilizing sometime after June. I'm glad to know that there are people like you who want to put their best efforts to help over there. It makes me feel a little better about him going.

Low grade is the very best Dx. No one can second guess this disease as far as recurrance. I was mostly low grade with high grade focal areas. I am 14 months out with no recurrance. I am 54 and I had malaise with BCG's. I think most everybody does.

My battle plan is exactly like Wendy says. I drink green tea also, but there are conflicting studies about green tea. There seems to be conflicting studies about everything, so I just try to go with my gut.

I bought one of those Brita pitchers with the water filters and use that for drinking and for making all my coffee and tea, etc.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 14 hours ago #4615 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Hot Springs Arkansas T1
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum. Try not to worry about your next check up as the chance is good that you will be all-clear. Low-grade bladder cancer means that you most likely will die of old age, not cancer. Of course there's always a small risk, and life-long follow up is a must, but you know this.

Thank you for your work in the Mid-east, and glad you made it back ok.

There are a few major changes that can be made regarding diet; cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, high-anti-oxidant foods like colorful fruit; drinking good quality water in healthy amounts. Many folks take Oncovite: blcwebcafe.org/oncovite.asp and more info here:
blcwebcafe.org/chemoprevention.asp

Take care,
Wendy

17 years 17 hours ago #4614 by Larry_Joe
Hot Springs Arkansas T1 was created by Larry_Joe
Hello All: I feel fortunate to have found this site & just spent several hours reading the various stories.

I am a 62y.o. male with a T1, low-grade, so feel fortunate after reading all the others. I had my first TURBT on 6 Dec. 2006, followed by six weeks of BCG. No side-effects from the BCG noticed, other than malaise (but that might be related to my age!!.) Follow-up scope scheduled for 9 April 2007 and I am already nervous about probable recurrence...but maybe my mental attitude is the worst probem to deal with.

I have been helping with efforts in Iraq/Afghanistan for the last five years and anxious to get back if I get this under control. It was a big surprise that this was happening to me.

Most interested about the change of diet and whether it can help. Organic foods, broccoli, fruits & veggies seem to be the order of the day?

Any rate, great to have found you all & I feel like I am among best friends already. Great therapy just conversing about our mutual affliction.

My sincere best wishes to all. Larry in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hot Springs, Arkansas

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne