Alcohol usage and bladder cancer

5 years 11 months ago #55338 by richard_lv
Replied by richard_lv on topic Alcohol usage and bladder cancer
Hi all, super great news here. I got my dad under control. He partied for 2 weeks straight and got tired of it. Now he's back to normal. We went shopping yesterday together and it was fun. Thanks for your support everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hardboiled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #55315 by jeffrx
Replied by jeffrx on topic Alcohol usage and bladder cancer
You have to get your dad to understand that bladder cancer has a high recurrence rate and that by living a healthy lifestyle, he can hopefully take an active role in helping to keep his chances for recurrence as low as possible. It doesn't sound like he realizes the disease can come back at any time. Hopefully it will not. An occasional drink or two for most people is OK, but excessive partying is probably not the greatest idea.

12/2015 - TURBT, non-invasive T1, mixed grade, 3 tumors
1/2016 - Begin BCG weekly for 6 weeks

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #55308 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Alcohol usage and bladder cancer
Richard_Iv

Taken from the NCI article cited below. Perhaps the article and video linked will help your dad.

"Understanding the Difference Between Cure and Remission
Cure means that there are no traces of your cancer after treatment and the cancer will never come back.

"Remission means that the signs and symptoms of your cancer are reduced. Remission can be partial or complete. In a complete remission, all signs and symptoms of cancer have disappeared.

"If you remain in complete remission for 5 years or more, some doctors may say that you are cured. Still, some cancer cells can remain in your body for many years after treatment. These cells may cause the cancer to come back one day. For cancers that return, most do so within the first 5 years after treatment. But, there is a chance that cancer will come back later. For this reason, doctors cannot say for sure that you are cured. The most they can say is that there are no signs of cancer at this time.

"Because of the chance that cancer can come back, your doctor will monitor you for many years and do tests to look for signs of cancer’s return. They will also look for signs of late side effects from the cancer treatments you received.

"Video Series
This video series offers the perspectives of three cancer patients and their doctor. The videos explain key points about prognosis and how doctors and patients can talk about it in a clear and supportive way. Two viewer guides are also available: for patients (PDF-210KB) and for provider care teams (PDF-210KB)." more at link below.

www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/diagnosis-staging/prognosis

Richard, over the past 3 years I have "been in " Remission 5 times. My remission periods have not lasted long before I am again "out of" remission, and again "with" cancer. I find that even "remission" may be to strong a word. More properly, it seems, NED (No Evidence of Disease) may be the most accurate term. Moderation and maintaining a healthful lifestyle can only help dealing with cancer.

Best to you and your father.

Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #55307 by richard_lv
Replied by richard_lv on topic Alcohol usage and bladder cancer
Thanks so much Sara for your answer.

My dad has changed completely after second turbt. While he was waiting for it, we did all the juice therapies and a lot of exercising, and now after doctor said there was no more cancer detected my dad is just a new person! He now says he wants to do all the crazy things he wants and I should let him do it.

I need to find a way to stop this. I just thought I'll create a fake medical publication that says Alcohol Linked with Cancer Recurrence and print it with some random text in it from some other publication.

He's not an alcoholic, so I don't think I need AA, I need to scare him well.

5 years 11 months ago #55306 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Alcohol usage and bladder cancer
Richard, so sorry to hear. This is a hard one to answer, since the primary concern is probably NOT the effect of alcohol on bladder cancer, but the effects of the entire situation on your dad...and you. Under normal conditions appropriate use of alcohol certainly isn't a problem.

After a successful TURB such as you dad had I normally do use the word "cured" but it needs to have the word
"temporarily" added. While many many patients never do have a recurrence, many do. I think that it might be a good idea to somehow get your dad to understand that while he no longer has bladder cancer now there is always the possibility that it can return. A little "scare" might help him get back his equilibrium!! While it is likely that he will never have a recurrence he needs to be aware of the possibility and keep his appointments with his urologist so that if it DOES recur he can be "cured" again.

Your dad is fortunate to have you looking out for him. Have you considered Al-Anon or a similar support group for YOU to help you get him through this?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 11 months ago #55305 by richard_lv
Alcohol usage and bladder cancer was created by richard_lv
Hi all,

My dad was cured from T1 stage cancer last month. It made him so happy that for this entire week he's been visiting all his friends and partying with them like crazy. He says he beat cancer and now he can do anything he wants. During his crazy parties he gets drunk with all his friends. I've taken him home 4 times this week and he's been absolutely wasted.

How dangerous is it to use alcohol after two TURBT operations (last one in mid April, 3 weeks ago), and a beaten cancer?

I am so worried that cancer will come back if he acts this way but he says he doesn't care as he beat it and he's stronger than cancer.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne