37 year old male with TI

6 years 3 days ago #54954 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic 37 year old male with TI
A second TURB should be done if there is any question raised by the results of the first or if there were extensive
tumors. It is not always necessary. In my case, the first one showed low grade papillary tumors, but the path report also noted "areas of irritation." My urologist chose to do a second TURB and concentrate on these uncertain areas. Turned out they were CIS which is high grade. I am so grateful that he did!!!

As for the statistics and BCG, you can find pretty much any number you want!!! I have usually read about 70%.
As you can see, it is well worth doing.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 days ago #54953 by Nonsmoker
Replied by Nonsmoker on topic 37 year old male with TI
Thank you. Does everyone typically do a second TURB before treatment? My doctor is not recommending it as he said everything was removed and was small.

After treatment, is it 70% chance it won’t come back if it was high grade? One doctor told me 70% another told me 85%.

6 years 3 days ago - 6 years 3 days ago #54952 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic 37 year old male with TI
Welcome.

Yes, 37 is relatively young to be DX'd. As far as non smoking, I never smoked either and I have read that maybe as much as 60% of bladder cancer has probabilities as causation. BCG? Yes, it statistically helps the majority of us beat this. There are many different protocols that have been done but, it is proven to be effective. Ask away during this journey. I am sure the shock hasn't worn off! Take one day at a time. Ask away on anything.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 3 days ago #54951 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic 37 year old male with TI
BCG is often very effective in high grade bladder cancer. It worked for me...now ten years from diagnosis.

You are on the young side of the statistics, but not alone there. There have been some much younger here.

Good luck!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 3 days ago #54950 by Nonsmoker
37 year old male with TI was created by Nonsmoker
Diagnosed with high grade stage 1 non invasive . 37 yearsold and never smoked. Anyone experience this at a young age? Did bcg work?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne