Has anyone else followed this BCG maintenance schedule?

6 years 1 month ago #54818 by Sean T
I am on a similar treatment plan as Sara Anne. I am at 18 months and just got an all clear cysto today so I start another three rounds of BCG. Then, in August, if I am still clear, I'll start my last three rounds of BCG. That would be my two year mark. Then I do cystos every three or six months probably for another three years.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #54813 by Dolphin69
No, but your Dr. must have had success working with this protocol. My Dr. told me that after the first 6 treatments with BCG, some protocols call for follow up treatment. My first BCG treatment was followed up by intermittent treatments over 3 years. Held the cancer at bay for 14 years. Had a few surgeries for reoccurrence and now having 6 weeks of BCG/Interferon treatment.

6 years 1 month ago #54781 by Eight15
Hi Sara Anne, I really appreciate your response, thank you so much! I think I was just surprised that I would have the BCG every 3 months for 2 years. So for I've tolerated the BCG pretty well. I know it's cumulative, but I'm hoping the 9 or 10 weeks between treatments will help lessen the side effects.

Thanks again!

6 years 1 month ago #54780 by sara.anne
As you have probably discovered, there are a number of BCG schedules being used. They all seem to be effective.
However, it has been shown that maintenance BCG does increase the effectiveness significantly. The protocol I was on is similar to yours, except that I only had the maintenance doses for two years. BCG does have side effects and they increase with exposure. By the time I finished I was on 1/3 the initial dose.

Good luck....you are on the right path!! We will hope it works for you too

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 1 month ago #54779 by Eight15
My schedule is as follows: I just finished the first 6 treatments. I'll have my next cysto in six weeks then the following week the start of the next 3 BCG weekly maintenance treatments. Then 3 months after that I'll have a cysto and the next week start 3 weekly BCG treatments again. I'll have BCG maintenance the week after after every cysto for 4 years. So BCG will be every 3 months for two years then every 6 months for two years.

Has anyone else followed this schedule?

History:
8/15 1 LG superficial
4/17 2 LG superficial
11/17 1 LG superficial

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne