Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday!

6 years 1 month ago #54659 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday!
Sounds as if you have a plan!! Dr. Wilson has an excellent reputation and has been the urologist for several
of our members.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #54658 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday!
I think you are handling things well and have a good plan. I didn't like the 6-12 month waiting item when you were getting a return on seen tumors. The regular suggestion is every 3 months for 2 years graduating to every 6 months for 2 more then yearly IF no tumors are found on cystoscopy. Otherwise, it is back to this regimen.

Colorado Springs isn't that far from Denver and you were smart checking insurances for coverage! As far as Dr. Wilson. Seems like I have heard from others on this board that she has a great reputation however, perhaps Sara Anne or Jack can add to this. Hopefully, the path will report low grade and if so perhaps cystoscopes will just be it! Plus, going to a full bladder center should give you better peace of mind. They usually involve a "team" reviewing things.

Dr. Wilson should have a game plan for the future and whether BCG makes sense or not. Keep us posted.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 1 month ago #54657 by exsequor
Replied by exsequor on topic Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday!
I have my Pathology appointment with the Doc on the 6th of Feb so please keep me in your prayers.
Prayers for peace of my body, mind and cancer and ALSO peace for the body, minds and cancers of EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HERE ON THE SUPPORT GROUP & THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD GOD BLESS <3 .

Lord willing the pathology will be similar or with very little difference to the first pathology. We will find out in ~7 days!
Still feeling A LOT better after this TURB in terms of the recovery, pain (or lack of :lol:), and ability to cope with life and work part BETTER.

Maybe they are right when they say you "really do get used to these things" (refering to big, shiny scopes, and the urogential tract).

Even though this is simply "only" my second TURB it just went a lot better and smoother then the first one.

I am hoping to take the NMI/LG approach to these as possibly just keep having them removed and seeing how that goes for me a few times BEFORE trying BCG. And that is what my current urologist is thinking as well, to see how pathology is, then discuss the timing of whens and if's of BCG during that time period.

Also, I switched insurance to a SILVER plan that both my current Colorado Springs Urologist accepts and also one that Dr Shandra Wilson (19th best Bladder Cancer urologist in the World according to US News & Reports) accepts. She is in Denver and handles around 12,000 patients BC patients (her youngest patient ever was 6, where as my current URO, well I AM HIS YOUNGEST PATIENT EVER :) :))), where as my uro in the springs handles around 200-300 patients.

I believe this puts her at the cysectomy rate (25 - 50 per year) that you recommended a URO have when performing Cystoscopy and TURBTs on me.

Still love my URO in the Springs, but I gotta switch over to one in which I am NOT his youngest patient. That should give me more of a fighting chance for WHEREVER I choose to do the fightin'

Anyways!, hopefully this is good news, but I have my NEXT cystscopy scheduled in April with Dr Shandra Wilson, because regardless of how good or bad my pathology is when it comes back again, I want to have a renowned bladder cancer expert looking at it, then to not. Plus Dr Wilson works out of an actual cancer center. My current URO in the springs does not, as there is NO cancer center in Colorado Springs.

Let me know what you think about this, Alan. You're always in my prayers, and your encouragement and insight does wonders for me, Alan. I am making sure that if I have to have THIRD TURBT (it'd be between April and May if I did) that it is (THIS TIME with a URO that sees A LOT of BC and that URO would be little "miss" Shandra Wilson of University of Colorado Hospital Bladder Cancer Center.

Again must prayer and love, and let me know what you think about my game plan

Heavy Wine Hematuria: 7/28/2017
Original DX: LG/NMIBC 1.7x1.5x2cm
1st TURB on 9/12/17
1st Pathology Results on 9/25/17
1st Scope Recheck on 1/12/18
2nd TURB on 1/23/18
2nd Pathology on February 2/13/18 (TBD)

6 years 2 months ago #54642 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday!
A second TURB is often done for the reasons you have posted. Personally, I like the every 3 month cystoscopy than every 6 months especially when you have had a re- occurence! Low grade is certainly better tahn high grade! Often, when it does come back even as low grade BCG may be introduced. Just make sure you URO sees lots of bladder cancer so he/she is on top of it.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 2 months ago #54641 by exsequor
Had 2nd TURB on Tuesday! was created by exsequor
I woke up laughing and feeling full of joy this time.

No stents or catheter needed this time. Urologist originally found "3" "wart like" "1mm or so" tumors on my first 3 month cystoscopy, leading to a TURB I had done a coouple days ago at 630am.

Anyways my urologist warned me the growths could be more multiple or numerous then the cystscopy revealed. He was sort of right, too. I had 4 of these small growths, instead of the 3 he had originally seen.

Anyways, they were located in a "easier" to reach part of the bladder according to him, which explained why this TURB hasnt hurt or been bloody like the first one of my "original" near 2cm tumor.

Anyways we wait on pathology now to say if it is still low grade. Then it'll be a decision of letting them grow and doing a TURB every 6 months to a year instead OR trying BCG treatment on a low grade tumor(s). That assumes it is still low grade.

I'm trying to remain happy and at peace as usual. I feel good, which helps. What do you all think? Much love to you all.

Heavy Wine Hematuria: 7/28/2017
Original DX: LG/NMIBC 1.7x1.5x2cm
1st TURB on 9/12/17
1st Pathology Results on 9/25/17
1st Scope Recheck on 1/12/18
2nd TURB on 1/23/18
2nd Pathology on February 2/13/18 (TBD)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne