Does the bcg treatments make me lazy

6 years 5 months ago #54344 by Sean T
Replied by Sean T on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
I've had like three rounds of BCG (I've lost track) and I always have bleeding and urgency but never fatigue. But I think it accelerated my hair loss. I don't know if anyone else has had that or if it's my imagination but I've gone from a bald guy to a really bald guy.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #54340 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
Hi, Davey!!
Apparently you had transitional cell bladder cancer in the form of CIS (carcinoma in situ.) That is what I had...it appears more like a rash on the lining of the bladder than a solid tumor. This makes it impossible to remove surgically and as it it always "high grade" it is extremely dangerous. BCG is currently the best treatment when it is still localized. Unfortunately, as you discovered, it does not always work.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 5 months ago #54339 by Davey
Replied by Davey on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
Hi Cynthia,
My bladder cancer was more like a skin cancer, on the inside lining of the bladder. There was no mass.
I was actively working while receiving the BCG treatments. (18 in all).
Maybe the fact that I was extremely active, Volunteer Firefighter, and only 50 years old, is the reason I felt no adverse reactions to the treatments.

Unfortunately, the treatments did not work, and I had radical surgery (neo bladder).
That surgery really dragged me down for a while.
This is the reasoning for my reply to Mallbrats' post.

I wish Mallbrat all the best. Keep a positive attitude!

6 years 5 months ago #54335 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
Sara Anne you are right on with your comments so I have nothing to add. But I do hope Mallbrat that you’re energy returns after the BCG. The unfortunate thing is the house work will still be there it never seems to go away even when ignored.

Davey, Question for you you said your cancer was fortunately on the molecular level. All cancers are caused by the cell growth going haywire and yes that starts on a molecular level. So I am guessing that you mean yours was found while it was still very early? Also why would you feel Mallbrats fatigue was caused by a short surgery over a year ago? Not being critical but just curious.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

6 years 5 months ago #54324 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
Most patients do have some reaction...fatigue, bleeding, urgency...after BCG. These side effects, which indicate that the treatment is working to activate the immune system, tend to increase as the treatments continue. If they become too unpleasant the dose can be reduced. Clinical studies have shown that as little as 1/10 of the initial dose can be effective. By the time I finished all of my BCG treatments, I was at 1/3 the initial dose.

It is unusual for someone to have no side effects at all.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 5 months ago #54319 by Davey
Replied by Davey on topic Does the bcg treatments make me lazy
Like you, I have gone through BCG treatments. 18 to be exact.
I never felt any adverse effect from them.
My cancer, fortunately, was on a molecular level.
My guess would be your surgery to remove the tumor is the culprit.

Good luck, and God Bless,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mallbrat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne