Diagnosed in January 2017

6 years 4 months ago #54421 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
Sorry to hear that. Here is my "official disclaimer".....we are not doctors here. High grade is not something to be fooled with, so my primary advice is to have a long and serious talk with your doctor about what his suggested plan might be. You also may want to get a second opinion at a place that has true expertise in all aspects of bladder cancer treatment.

As for my personal thoughts....the minimum from this point would be more BCG. Perhaps with interferon. And of course, careful monitoring. One more shot might be worth a try, but you do not want to fool around with this.

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #54420 by cltyxx
Replied by cltyxx on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
Hi seeking some advice on the next steps:

In my 1st Cysto after 6 BCG on Nov 14th, my doctor told me (in his notes): "Circumferential inspection of the bladder revealed a small raised lesion on the right lateral wall at the resection scar less than a half centimeter in size". He suggested a biopsy in late Nov.

I just got a phone call from him informing me that the biopsy did find some cancer cells. He also told me that it was remaining T1 HG.

I am going to discuss with my doctor in details next week. Has anyone had similar experience? Shall I just go get another TURBT? Or should I seek any other alternative treatments, or possibly continuing BCG?
If the cancer cells were found from the scar, does it mean that BCG is not working or the previous TURBT didnot go deep enough?

Thanks!

CLTYXX

Diagnosed on 03/23/2017
TURBT#1 04/06/2017, Pathology report not conclusive
TURBT#2 05/26/2017, HG T1, No cancer found
BCG 6 treatments finished on 08/11/2017
Cysto: 11/14/2017
Biopsy: 11/27/2017

6 years 11 months ago #53367 by dlh
Replied by dlh on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
Thank you Heather. This is all still fairly new to me and it helps to know I'm not alone in this fight. It also helps me not to over-react. Thanks again and am so glad you've had a successful diagnosis!

6 years 11 months ago #53362 by heather79
Replied by heather79 on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
Hi dlh! Hang in there. What you were told is very similar to what I was told a year ago when they found my tumor. They removed it, I did BCG, had a cystoscopy, they found more, removed those, had more BCG and this last cystoscopy showed no evidence of disease. Finally! I too had high grade, and that can reappear, that's why we're checked so often. If they catch it early enough, before it goes into the muscle layer, then we can keep our bladders. It's an inconvenience and an anxiety ridden event each time, but it's worth it.

Heather
Dx 5/25/2016, First cysto and TURBT 5/23/2016, 2nd cysto and TURBT 6/20/2016, Original tumor size (by CT): 7.3 cm x 4.8 cm x 4.8 cm, BCG 8/31/2016-10/12/2016,
Cysto 11/15/2016: Recurrence :(, TURBT (#3) 12/5/2016, BCG x 3 weeks, off 1 week x 1 year (end Jan 2018)
Cysto 4/5/17: NED!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlh

7 years 5 days ago - 7 years 4 days ago #53212 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
DLH,

Welcome, just sorry for the reason to join us. The BCG is done not only prevent any re-occurence but, also kill any "seeded" cells from the TURB. Often, a chemo bladder wash is used after the TURB while you are out. I am guessing that even may have been done. Actually, a scope is pretty normal about 6 weeks after your last BCG installation to stay on top of things. After that more BCG as a maintenance is often done with several different protocols used. Also, 3 month intervals after to scope for 2 years, then every 6 months for 2 more years and yearly after is the usual protocol. As everyone is different, sometimes things are tweaked due to everyone being an individual. I am not up to speed on the shortcut nomenclature of TNM except it is reading lymph node involvement and am guessing it is negative. Someone can perhaps enlighten us. Sounds like you on your way to beating this!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 5 days ago #53211 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Diagnosed in January 2017
DLH,

The following file offers a good, clear understanding of cancer staging (and grade).

www.cancer.net/cancer-types/bladder-cancer/stages-and-grades

I would first assume that the "early" scope is the doctor being cautious; he is looking for an early return of the cancer. Do ask the doctor about this at your next appointment.

A follow up plan of frequent scoping is the standard screening for a return of bladder cancer; the rate of return of bladder cancer is significant, more so for a high grade cancer. It seems to me that your plan is normal.

My thought is - If there is any doubt or unanswered question about MY treatment, a second opinion is in order. Prepare a list of questions and concerns for your next appointment. Hopefully your doc will have answers for all.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne