Just Received Pathology

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #52659 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Just Received Pathology
Frank, Some others with more knowledge of your area of Southern California I am sure will chime in. As Sara Anne said Keck has a good reputation as well as UC Irvine. There are some other great centers but, I will let other expertise speak for you. John Hopkins is very often used on a second opinion on pathology reports.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #52658 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Just Received Pathology
I would strongly second Alan's recommendation that you DEMAND a second opinion. .. "HIGH GRADE" by definition means that the cells are rapidly dividing and have the potential to spread FAST. The recommendation that you have been given is the standard for LOW GRADE.

The good news is that there are several really good places to get a second opinion in Southern California. Keck School of Medicine, USC, is one of the world renown centers for treatment of bladder cancer. The bad news is that it is difficult, from what I have heard, to get Kaiser to allow you to talk to anyone outside their closed system.

Best of luck..and do get a second opinion from a really good urologist who specializes in bladder cancer treatment.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #52657 by FHet
Replied by FHet on topic Just Received Pathology
I live in Southern California. My health care provider is Kaiser Permanente.
No unmentioned health issue.

DX 1/10/17 Ta HG papillary tumor 1cm in size.

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #52655 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Just Received Pathology
Frank,

Welcome but, as we all say we are sorry you have joined our exclusive club. First, this is a very treatable disease. Now that you have your diagnosis you'll note that my notes/profile at the bottom are very similar to yours. I was TaG3 and tumor size was .5 CM. Your intuition is correct. The standard protocol is to do a second TURB when it is high grade to be sure margins taken are good. Also, the standard treatment of BCG is very important in high grade. It is proven in study after study of its usefulness. Unless there is an unmentioned health issue I disagree with his protocol realizing those of us posting are not doctors.

So many practices treat mostly prostate issues in men that I am ready to suggest you get a second opinion. You really need the BCG and almost certainly a second TURB. John Hopkins is a great option as you have already opined. What area of the country do you live? Perhaps someone else reading will have a good teaching hospital or major bladder center to use.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 2 months ago #52653 by FHet
Just Received Pathology was created by FHet
Hello,
I am a 45 year old male and things have been a blur since Cystoscopy revealed a tumor.
I am 10 days from TURBT removal of a 1cm tumor. I received Mitomycin right after TURBT.
Pathology revealed TaHG.
Doctor plan of action: Monitor with Cystoscopy every 3 months for 2 years, then every 6 months for 2 years and then annually.
Everything I've heard and read suggests further treatment with a 2nd TURBT and then BCG.
I've already sent email to doctor with concerns and request to send for 2nd opinion (Johns Hopkins?)

This is new and difficult to get a grasp of. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thank You,
Frank

DX 1/10/17 Ta HG papillary tumor 1cm in size.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne