When to stop eating or drinking before BCG

7 years 3 months ago #52627 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic When to stop eating or drinking before BCG
Just remember that there is not anything "magic" about the two hours. I was told that, if I could, hold it for two hours. If I couldn't that was OK....just as long as I could. And as for rolling around, they laughed at me when I said I had read that on the internet!!

As with everything, your mileage will vary!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #52626 by Alan
The best answer is doing what is best for you-not demeaning your question as everyone will react different. If my memory is still intact almost 9 years ago: the first several installations were pretty easy. About the 4th -6th the urgency, minor bleeding and burning were more pronounced. It would take 12-24 hours to really flush out the BCG of my system. I just kept telling myself it WILL pass and this is a LOT easier than CHEMO. Eating was not an issue.

My URO had me do another group after a 6 week wait. The last 3 or 4 I wasn't able to hold more than 60-90 minutes. The last maybe 30 minutes. Drink lots of water to flush your bladder every time. Almost as much as you can stand. I had read that rotating 90 degrees every 15 minutes for the 2 hours is good. Front, side, back, other side. On that subject my URO laughed and said the bladder is a small muscle when empty and that it shouldn't matter that it will fill. I rotated anyway figuring it couldn't hurt (visualize a broiled chicken for laughs). I tried to have mine done in the AM so I could work the next day. It worked for the most part but, even then the urge would hit sometimes so I always knew where the nearest restroom was (traveling salesman) or was prepared to simply do my duty by the roadside.

Is this any fun? No, but very doable. I figure it took me a couple of weeks to get back to normal after my last 6. I just didn't drink anything an hour or two prior to the installations so I would be empty.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 3 months ago #52625 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic When to stop eating or drinking before BCG
Paul,

My instructions, which work well for me, are to limit fluids for 8-12 hours before and no fluid intake for 4 hours prior. I last eat at 8 hours ahead, avoiding liquids. The idea is to present with an empty bladder.

Once the 2 hour holding is over and the BCG is voided, I add LOTS of liquids to flush the bladder; it is also time to eat. After an additional 60 to 90 minutes, the BCG really hits me, and urinary symptoms start, indicating the BCG is doing its job.

You may have been told that symptoms MAY increase with additional BCG treatments. For me the increase came at treatment #3 and has continued; some lucky people don't have any urinary symptoms.

Hope this helps,

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 3 months ago #52623 by Paulsac
I am heading for my third BCG this Wednesday at 2pm. I had no trouble holding the BCG in for 2 hours after my first treatment, but for the second I had a smoothy at 11am, and I held it for the 2 hours, but the last 10 minutes were painful. My nurse practitioner said she empties my bladder before administering the BCG, and I should not be afraid to eat or drink. What type of eating or drinking schedule works best?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne