UTIs and BCG

7 years 5 months ago #52360 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic UTIs and BCG
The reason that BCG is NOT usually given when a UTI is present is that the infection causes irritation to the bladder and this makes it more susceptible to side effects from the BCG. It would not cause the BCG to be ineffective.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigRIJoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #52359 by BigRIJoe
Replied by BigRIJoe on topic UTIs and BCG
I'm going to make this message more clearer. I was given a BCG treatment even though I had a a UTI. The urine sample taken at the office came back negative. The same sample was sent to a lab and came back positive. The urologist's office made a mistake. Two questions: Why don';t they give a BCG treatment if you have a UTI and 2) Does getting a BCG treatment with a UTI cause the treatment to be ineffective or less effective?

7 years 5 months ago #52358 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic UTIs and BCG
Welcome! Somewhere in my 12 treatments I remember one being postponed-was it 1 or 2 weeks I don't remember-due to a UTI which wasn't the garden variety type but some kind of exotic nasty. For most it is a minor delay/bump in the road. While none of us are doctors any kind blood should be a concern of delaying that installation however, BCG itself can bring inflammation and bleeding. So be an advocate for yourself also. I will guess that a weeks wait and you will continue and beat this disease. post away anytime.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 5 months ago #52354 by BigRIJoe
UTIs and BCG was created by BigRIJoe
I had brownish red urine two days before my 5th BCG treatment. I reported it to my urologist and was told the office would do a urine specimen before the 5th treatment to check whether or not I had a UTI. I was told there would be no treatment if I had a UTI. I was told the in office urine specimen showed I had no UTI. I was told that the specimen would be sent to the lab for further analysis. According to the lab I DID have a UTI and the treatment should not have been done. I've contacted the urologist to see how he wants to proceed; does anyone want to share any similar experiences?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne