Ureteral stent pain

7 years 5 months ago #52199 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Ureteral stent pain
Dan, if you feel that something is not right, such as your pain and feeling that you are blocked again, you better call the doctor's office and report it! Believe it or not, you are the expert on your body. Better to ask and have it NOT be a problem than not to ask and get into trouble. And you are paying a lot for his services!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #52198 by etd5fh
Ureteral stent pain was created by etd5fh
A few days ago I had a stent placed from kidney to bladder. It was inserted through an existing nephro tube. I had a ton of pain during urination, and it turns out there was a blockage in the stent just above my bladder. The IR doctor had the PA blast some contrast through the nephro tube which dislodged the blockage. With the blockage gone, they removed the nephro tube and patched me up. My first urination was virtually pain free. Over the last few days the pain is back (pain level 3 up to 7).

My URO said that discomfort with a stent is normal, but now I can't help think there is another blockage since the pain has returned and the flow is a bit weak. My next URO appt is in 3 weeks where he will confirm my readiness for first BCG treatment. In the meantime, I guess the stent discomfort is something I just have to endure. (can;t imagine the pain of having it removed....!).

Has anyone experienced this same situation? I would imagine YES, and I should face the fact that it's just the nature of the experience!

Dan E

7/16 - Diagnosis
7/16 - TURBT, 5cm, T1 N0 M0
9/16 - nephro tube install
10/16 - ureteral stent install, nephro tube removed
NOW - waiting to start BCG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne