Chemo after removal of kidney

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51229 by koolchg
Replied by koolchg on topic Chemo after removal of kidney
Any treatment will affect the kidney. My creatine stays between 1.0 and 1.5, when it gets to 1.5 , I get the "drink more water". If the scan is clean, get an PET and MRI to make sure there is no trace. If there is no trace, I would opt out of any chemo. If it is going to come back it will. If you have no trace, immunotherapy could be the treatment of choice after all the trials . However, the tumors have to have PD-1 cells for Nivolumab to maybe work. All treatment has side effects. If you can avoid it, do. I was considered clean after chemo and then diagnosed 3 more times being clean each time afterwards until it matastisized. Please me know if you have any questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #51228 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Chemo after removal of kidney
Thank you for both of your posts, Koolchg! I am going to ask the oncologist about Nuvolamab.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

7 years 10 months ago #51224 by koolchg
Replied by koolchg on topic Chemo after removal of kidney
I had chemo and radiation after a kidney removal. They only did follow-up treatment because something lit up on a PET scan. If nothing showed up, I would not have to go through chemo, which was devastating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougG

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #51180 by DougG
Chemo after removal of kidney was created by DougG
Has anyone had experience with chemo after removal of a kidney? They are considering this as an option for Doug. The cancer in the kidney was high grade. His CT scan came back clean on Tuesday. The oncologist and urologist both expressed concern of toxicity from chemo to the remaining kidney. The oncologist mentioned if they go with the chemo, they would monitor his kidney function and stop if it started to go down. It is a little below normal now. Thank you for sharing any of your experiences.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne