It's baaaack

7 years 10 months ago #51123 by rkp
Replied by rkp on topic It's baaaack
I had gross hematuria October 2015. Had CT scan with no abnormal result. Continued to have hematuria so I went to urologist. He reviewed ct scan and said he could see tumor. He then did cystoscopy and saw growth. Had TURBT on 12/31/2015. Biopsy showed pT1 high grade papillary urothelial carcinoma. No treatment ordered just cystoscopy every 4 months. Had cystoscopy this morning (05/06/2016) that showed the 2 bb size growths and reddened area. Scheduled for TURBT on 05/12/2015. I was told he would advise chemo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #51122 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic It's baaaack
I am a bit puzzled, as everyone else seems to be, about the recommendation for chemotherapy (via an oncologist...not just mitomycin post TURB). Have you had any tests other than the cystoscopy, such as CT? I would think that until the pathology reports are back from the TURB the urologist would have no idea whether chemotherapy is indicated or not. As others have mentioned, BCG is usually the treatment recommended for a first recurrence UNLESS THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT THE CANCER HAS SPREAD OUT OF THE BLADDER. If it has spread into the lower layers of the bladder, the recommendation is for bladder removal.

I certainly concur with the others that a second opinion here is absolutely indicated. You need to find a urologist who handles LOTS of bladder cancer cases, preferably one in a university/cancer center. You can use our Treatment Finder on the Home Page or let us know where you are located and others can chime in with suggestions.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51121 by Nicke
Replied by Nicke on topic It's baaaack
Okay, I'm surprised. BCG is the golden standard of treatment for high-grade superficial bladder cancer . It is more or less the only treatment or alternative to radical cystectomy.

Niklas

12-12 Diagnosis
13-1 Turb TAG1
13-5 Turb Ta low grade, multiple
13-10 Turb TaG2, multiple
13-11 Mitomycin 8 weeks + 6 month
15-01 Turb

7 years 10 months ago #51120 by rkp
No mention of bcg, just repeat cystoscopy 4 months after TURBT. Thank you for response.

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51119 by Nicke
Replied by Nicke on topic It's baaaack
I am sorry about the recurrence. Did you not get BCG after your first tumor was resected? BCG is the most effective treatment for high grade superficial bladder cancer. If your urologist didn't give you BCG and didn't give you a good explanation for that in the first time, I strongly suggest that you go to another urologist specializes in bladder cancer for a second opinion. High grade bladder cancer can be very aggressive and nothing to fool around with.

Niklas

12-12 Diagnosis
13-1 Turb TAG1
13-5 Turb Ta low grade, multiple
13-10 Turb TaG2, multiple
13-11 Mitomycin 8 weeks + 6 month
15-01 Turb

7 years 10 months ago #51118 by rkp
No mention of that. Just said I would be referred to oncologist after TURBT. Thank you for replying.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne