Advice to newly diagnosed

8 years 7 months ago #49208 by OldEngineer
Replied by OldEngineer on topic Advice to newly diagnosed
Jay - thanks and yes I did, I wanted to avoid taking homeopathic remedies since I have so many other prescription meds that I take (atenolol, diovan, Plavix, pantoprazole, crestor), I was worried about unexpected drug interactions, but I have done some more research and marshmallow root does not seem to have any adverse interactions with my other meds, so I will buy some and try it tomorrow and report back; thank you again!

T1 high grade transcell diagnosed 8/14/2015
TURBT 8/21/2015, removed tumor (17mmX14mmX11mm)
Repeat TURBT performed 9/25/2015
Pathology Report: no residual cancer detected
BCG planned starting in October

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #49207 by OldEngineer
Got it thanks; I was thinking that there is no better cleanser than mother nature (oxygen, sunlight, etc.), and I have a large yard (two acres), but you are right that I can't guarantee some transport by critters outside my property before it is detoxified, so, chlorine it is.

8 years 7 months ago #49206 by Jay
Replied by Jay on topic Advice to newly diagnosed
My instructions were a cup of bleach each time you urinate, let it sit for 15 minutes, then flush. Do this for the next 6 hours. Yup, the dollar store and their $1.00 bleach is the most economical.

Old Engineer: Did you see my post about Marshmallow Root. Since it you're having that much pain, it might be worth a try? Jay

8 years 7 months ago #49205 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Advice to newly diagnosed
No, no no!! You do not want to put the stuff outdoors!! Your doctor will give you instructions, but basically you put bleach into the toilet each time you use it for about 6 hours..I am a bit vague on the exact time, since it was several years ago.

You might want to buy a couple of bottles of cheap chlorine bleach!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 7 months ago #49204 by OldEngineer
And other question I forgot to ask; although I don't start the BCG therapy for several weeks, I was wondering what practices people used to ensure that when the BCG solution is voided, it is properly treated since it is very dangerously infectious? I was thinking about urinating into a hand-held urinal, then discarding that outdoors on the lawn away from the house, and then decontaminating the urinal with chlorine. Also - after that first void, I assume that subsequent voids can also have the bacillus in them too - so, same treatment, but for how long? I guess I will get plenty of guidance from the doctor on all of this but just wondering what you-all did in practice? Thank you!

8 years 7 months ago #49203 by OldEngineer
Would appreciate any further insights you-all may have on this. It has been nine days since my TURBT. First two, had a lot of discomfort upon urination, treated by pyridium and oxycodone. Then next two (days 3 and 4), urination pain decreased significant and was able to get off the pain meds entirely. Then starting on day 5 and continuing, the pain has come back in somewhat different form, and while it is tolerable, it is considerable. Different form meaning that I can start to urinate without discomfort but as the flow proceeds, the pain builds, feels like it is in the urethra itself but perhaps that is just an illusion. Saw my urologist last Thursday (four days ago - today is Sunday 8/30) and he said that further pain is not unusual owing to the mitomycin he instilled right after the procedure, that is very irritative. So my general question is, how long should I reasonably wait to have the pain abate? I am back on the pyridium for now and it does help, but I know I can't take it indefinitely, and I don't want to restart the oxycodone. He did take a urine sample on Thursday to culture it to see if there was an infection; the urine had no gross blood but some microscopic evidence of blood - also normal according to him. Advice welcome! Thank you

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne