tumor sequencing

8 years 8 months ago #49093 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic tumor sequencing
I asked a similar question 7.5 years ago of my URO. He was ia much up to speed in the bladder community. He said bladder cancer for some reason is low on the totem pole, probably as it isn't the hot or "sexy' cancer. Thus very little research $$$ in relation to breast, colon and brain cancers. As Sara Anne mentioned if one had a code I am not sure there are therapies to fight it. The one plus might be if there is a genetic predisposition, the more vigilant you might want to be.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #49092 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic tumor sequencing
I don't know of any therapies for bladder cancer that use genetically engineered therapies. So even if you had the tumor analyzed, there would be no application for that information.

The centers that you mentioned are right at the top of research and treatment of bladder cancer. You might want to wait until you are able to discuss this issue with your new doctor before investing so much ($$$) in sequencing.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 8 months ago #49090 by ureterstone
tumor sequencing was created by ureterstone
Has anyone had their tumors sequenced through FoundationOne or Cancer Genetics or any such service? Or have any of you had such a test ordered by your doctors? Has genomic information ever been clinically useful in bladder cancer?

We will be switching to one of Northwestern / Mayo / Cleveland soon. I want to make sure I get the tumor tissue from the current pathologist and have it sequenced if the info can be useful. We'd be paying the ~$4 - 5k out of pocket.

Thanks!

64 male, Ta tumor in distal end of ureter - kidney and ureter removed - Aug 2015.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne