Cystocopy

8 years 10 months ago #48916 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cystocopy
If you take your car to a car wash and it always comes back scratched, why would you keep going there? I would find a new car wash!

We often forget that medical care providers, most of whom are caring and dedicated people, are also a provider of services for which we pay. We are always free to find one that better suits our needs. You also have the right to speak up if something is not right for you....when the nurse comes in, or the urologist, you REFUSE to do it without numbing! As an example, for multiple reasons I am very hard to draw blood from and almost impossible for successful insertion of an IV. I always warn the phlebotomist or nurse that they have three (3) tries and then I leave! This always starts a discussion about how it should be done and...guess what? ....when proper procedures are used it is successful and nearly painless!

Good luck to you as you don your armor for the battle! (PS, politeness along with your firmness helps!)

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #48915 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cystocopy
"Redness" would put my ears on alert just because that could be CIS. Unlikely as your washes, scopes and cytology I am sure indicate otherwise. If you are near another practice that sees a lot of bladder cancer, maybe it is time for a change and fresh eyes?

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

8 years 10 months ago #48914 by dusty2251
Replied by dusty2251 on topic Cystocopy
Here is what happens. I get called back, the assistant takes me into the room. Tells me to drop my pants, gives me a paper sheet to cover up with and I lie down on the table. The doctor comes in, takes off the paper sheet, then says a "little bit of saline" which he squirts in and immediately and I mean immediately inserts the scope. The longer he is in there the more it hurts. The last three times, he says I see a little redness and does what he calls a bladder wash. I worry for 4-5 days and then I see it online that it comes back negative. I compare the lack of numbing agent to a dentist with one chair. While the dentist is waiting for the Novocaine he cannot work on another patient. This is a very large practice, but maybe they only have on room to do the scopes. I am glad that I am not crazy and this is not normal. Like I said my family doctor told me before I went the first time that I would be so numb that I would not feel a thing and that is what I read online.I think that it is time to find a new doctor. During my surgery, they installed a stent which was in for three weeks. I called before I went back to have that removed and asked the nurse if he would be using a numbing agent this time and she said "yea, he will use a little numbing agent" , no such luck. Thanks for the response.

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #48913 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cystocopy
I cant imagine not use a lubricant/anesthetic! My URO's office has 3 docs so they have 4-5 examination rooms. Is your URO limited in rooms? I am surprised they don't have a nurse prep you 5 minutes prior. Even with that I pee razor blades for 3 or 4 voids after. I would certainly ask for it the next time.

As an aside, I laughingly asked my URO once if he had ever had a scope in med school so they understand it better. He said "No, you think I am masochist"?

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

8 years 10 months ago #48912 by dusty2251
Cystocopy was created by dusty2251
I had a TA very small tumor removed on June 19, 2014. I also a chemo drug left in for I think an hour and then released. My surgeon removed the tumor and some underlying tissue for testing and told me that the cancer was confined to the tumor itself and not the tissue. I go back every three months for a cystosocopy and I am coming up on one year on my next visit. My question is that my urologist does not use a deadner before he inserts the scope, he always squirts a little saline and then immediately inserts the scope. Believe me there is no deadner. I have spoken to a number of healthcare professionals and they all think that I am lying or he is a quack. I know the reason, he can do more in a shorter period of time because he does not have to wait for the deadner to take effect. It is bad enough to have to bite on a washcloth for hours when I urinate afterwards but I was wondering if anyone else has a doctor that does not numb them before the scope. Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne