BCG

8 years 11 months ago #48739 by wolfdad
Replied by wolfdad on topic BCG
your points are all valid!! i am aware of how bad things could get. i thank you for the "pep" talk and concern. it would seem that having the treatment is a no-brainer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #48738 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG
After I read your post, I had to take a walk to think this through. WHY WOULDN'T YOU HAVE BCG? You have been dealing with a rather mild form of bladder cancer for a long time. It has suddenly decided to become not-so-mild. Your uro has suggested what is currently state-of-the-art treatment for a condition that appears to be turning nasty. IF the tumors continue to appear you are headed for bladder removal (radical cystectomy.) In your place I would be doing everything I could do avoid this.

Due to the current shortages of BCG, there are patients who are begging for it.

I had the initial series of BCG and continued the maintenance doses to the end. Yes, I did have a bit of discomfort (note that I said "discomfort," not unbearable side effects) and I did end the series at a reduced dose. But I am now 7 years cancer-free. I found that the side effects were primarily fatigue and urinary urgency and burning for a couple of days after the treatment. Very do-able. In fact, these were nearly the same symptoms that sent me to the urologist before I was diagnosed with high grade bladder cancer! I have had friends with metastisized cancers (not bladder cancer) who had to undergo systemic chemo and saw what they had to go through. BCG is a walk-in-the-park compared to that....and, should your bladder cancer go rogue, that is what you are facing.

Sorry if I appear to be yelling at you, BUT I AM. This is not something to fool with, and IMHO, you do not really have much of a choice if you want to keep your bladder and your health.

Please think this through,.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 11 months ago #48737 by wolfdad
Replied by wolfdad on topic BCG
hello and thank you...i am trying to learn all i can in order to decide if i should have the BCG treatments or not!

8 years 11 months ago #48713 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!! I moved your post to the "non-invasive" category where it will probably get more attention from those who can answer your concerns.

BCG is the treatment of choice for non-invasive but either high grade or recurring bladder cancer. Many of us have had it....including myself. I had a six weeks' initial series of treatments and then maintenance treatments until two years had passed. Now cancer-free for 7 years!!

There is LOTS of information about BCG and what to expect on the web site and especially here on the Forum. At the top of this Forum page, in the larger box, is a "search" button. Click on this and enter BCG and you will find an amazing amount of information.

Good luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 11 months ago #48712 by wolfdad
BCG was created by wolfdad
Hello everyone.....i just had my 6th or 7th bladder tumor removed 2 weeks ago. i have had these going back about 25 years but they are getting closer together as i had 2 removed this past December! my Dr. now wants to do the series of treatments known as BCG and i was wondering if anyone else has had this and if so what your experience with it is/was. thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne