Any Information is Appreciated - Worried

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #48398 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Austin,

I live in New Braunfels and use Tri County Urology (830-629-1954). Thy are a very good practice. You might try them. Georgetown has a multi doctor practice. MD Anderson in Houston may be little far for a day trip but, they are world renowned.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago #48397 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Anne, Express Scripts is a mail-only pharmacy service. Among its clients is the Department of Defense for dependents. I have to get all my prescriptions through them. Don't know if they would stock physician-only stuff.

But anything is worth a try

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 3 weeks ago #48396 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Someone told me that express scripts , and they got BCG. Www.expressscripts.Com now it is Blue cross not sure if you have to have blue cross, just wanted to share the info..

9 years 3 weeks ago #48389 by Austin
Replied by Austin on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Thank you Anne and Sara for your replies. I am waiting on a call from our urologist and I want to find out if there are other urologists in Austin, Texas where we live that might have the BCG. Of course my husband is calm and patient and I am freaking out over the month delay. I picture in my mind the inside of his bladder and because they removed a tumor and all the superficial spots they could, I want something to "zap" anything remaining. I have pictured in my mind the BCG being like "Round Up" we put on weeds we don't want to come back. After reading many of the posts at this site, I recognize that many people have walked this path with bladder cancer. Already this site has made me feel better. I am by nature somewhat cynical so when someone tells me that something if not available, I have to go further. Thanks Again. Gee'w wife.

9 years 3 weeks ago #48388 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Unfortunately, BCG has been scarce for almost a year or so. But it IS the best first treatment and is worth waiting for. Interferon is used in conjunction with BCG usually when BCG alone fails, and mitomycin is often used when a patient cannot tolerate BCG, but it is not quite as effective.

BCG is a biologic agent and not a typical drug that is made in a laboratory. It has a history of difficulties in production and there are few commercial sources of it.

While I am sure that you are impatient to get this started, (I know I would be) a month's delay shouldn't affect his prognosis. Meanwhile, check with your doctor every week or so to "keep the pressure on."

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 3 weeks ago #48387 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Any Information is Appreciated - Worried
Understand your fear completely, have they offered either interferon or mitomycin? Have you called NCI hospitals or other urologists, they might have some BCG.

One month wait might not be an impact at all.

Anne

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne