Treatments start today

9 years 3 months ago #47914 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Treatments start today
Thank you, I never thought to ask him if it was okay to take ibuprofen. I took it to reduce the pain from insertion of the Cystoscopy. Never took anymore after that first dose. I know a week before the TURBT to stay away from ibuprofen,

Thank you for that information and will ask my Doctor.

Regards,

Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #47913 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Treatments start today
Hi, This is for AnneH - just read your post where you said you take Ibuprofen before and after instillation of the BCG-was that recommended by your doctor? if not, please ask your urologist if it is ok - I read somewhere that you should NOT take any antiinflammatory drugs during treatment as A) sme can mask the effects of a posible fever developing B)By having BCG what you are trying to acheive is to initiate inflamation against the cáncer cells, and C) some anti inflammatory drugs can increase the side effects of bleeding.
It is important that only drugs which are compatible with treatment should be taken, and this should checked with your medical team. There are drugs available which specifically treat urinary pain. I am not a doctor, and perhaps I am wrong and ibuprofen is perfectly ok, but I would doublé check on that.

9 years 3 months ago #47898 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Treatments start today
The first treatment is usually pretty easy. During the first few hours after instillation you may have burning and a real urgency to pee. You may see bloody tissue in the urine (a bit of the bladder lining sloughing off._) As you have more and more treatments the side effects may become more noticeable...THIS MEANS THAT IT IS WORKING. Fatigue a day or so after the treatments and an increase in the urgency and burning.

IT IS WELL WORTH IT and is no where near the types of side effects you might get with chemotherapy with other types of cancer.

YOU CAN DO THIS

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: DuckFish

9 years 3 months ago #47892 by DuckFish
Replied by DuckFish on topic Treatments start today
So I can expect some burning?

9 years 3 months ago #47891 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Treatments start today
Like you I was extremely nervous when starting BCG. Below are the steps I followed before and after my treatment.

1. Didn't drink or eat anything several hours before my treatment. This helped me retain the BCG for the two hours.

2. I took a Xanax twenty minutes before my appointment, and also took a Ibuprofen before and after treatment.

3. Fifteen minutes before the two hours were up started drinking water and continued drinking for the next several hours. This helped with the burning.

I found the first twenty four hours I needed to stay very close to the bathroom, I had my treatment late in the day and the following day worked from home. The only side effects I had was flu like symptoms.

Good luck and I have said a prayer for you. The first time is the fear of the unknown, but subsequent treatments will be easier because you will know what to expect.

Anne
The following user(s) said Thank You: DuckFish

9 years 3 months ago #47889 by DuckFish
Treatments start today was created by DuckFish
My BCG treatments start today. As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm very nervous. If you're the praying type, say a prayer for me. If you're not the praying type, say one for me anyway (I could use all the support I can get).
Any suggestions on what to expect or what types of side effects I should look out for?

Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne