BCG Treatments

9 years 1 week ago #48656 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic BCG Treatments
Cindy you are always in our prayers also. Hubby is at the half way mark. Just 6 monthly treatments left ,come on September. Lol Take care and stay in touch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #48655 by Cindy B.
Replied by Cindy B. on topic BCG Treatments
Thanks Anne,

I'm still challenged when it comes to navigating the site. I am on this forum and doing good to be here. LOL! I did google the shortage and saw the problems. My doctor did explain some alternatives. Her concern for me is that I'm young to have this so she considers me "high risk" even though I'm only Stage 1. I was just shocked that in America we could have a shortage of any drug. Hope you're doing well.

Cindy

9 years 1 week ago #48654 by Cindy B.
Thanks Melissa. I was in shock when she told me. She did say that there are more cases of bladder cancer showing up. Hope your husband is doing well. I've missed talking to everyone on here, been extremely busy at work. Take care. You guys are still in my prayers.

Cindy

9 years 1 week ago #48653 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Treatments
There has been a LOT of information in the Forum over the last year about the current BCG shortage. Use the "search" function at the top of this page and you will find it all.

Briefly, BCG is as biological substance and is manufactured by only one company. It is distributed by Merck. For several years there have been manufacturing problems, according to Merck. This requires that the entire facility shut down and start over. BCG has been in short supply now for several years, and last year several months went by without it. This is a world-wide shortage.

Since it is not a patentable substance with a huge profit margin no one else is interested in producing it.

The American Bladder Cancer Society, as well as many other entities, have been monitoring this and addressing the importance of this substance with the FDA,
Merck, and other interested parties for some time.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cindy B.

9 years 1 week ago #48652 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic BCG Treatments
Hi Cindy , My husband and I was told about a bcg shortage almost 2 weeks ago. He is scheduled his next treatment next Thursday but nurse said she would call us if it doesn't come in. You'd think there would be plenty of bcg on hand for everyone considering it seems there are so many with bladder cancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cindy B.

9 years 1 week ago #48651 by Cindy B.
Hey Folks,

Just got back from my doctor and was told that there is a national BCG shortage and I would not be able to get my treatments. Has anyone else heard that? I was like seriously??? There's a run on BCG Treatments?

I'm curious to see if any of you are having trouble getting your treatments. Hope all of you are doing well.

Cindy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne