BCG Treatments

9 years 7 months ago #46992 by Cindy B.
Replied by Cindy B. on topic BCG Treatments
Melissa,

You are so sweet to think of me! I actually ended up have to skip this week. I was passing some really big clots and felt like I was urinating razor blades. I had a mini meltdown, Friday night, and laid in bed crying because I was hurting so bad and could not get comfortable. And I never cry because of pain, I have a high tolerance. Freaked my husband out. But I was tired and hurting and the thought of them inserting a catheter up that area that was so raw just got the best of me. The doctor thought it would be a good idea to let my bladder rest a week and postpone the treatment a week. So I go back Tuesday for my next one.

She started me on a new med called Urimar-T. It works a little better than Pyridium but to be honest nothing stops the pain completely.

Hope your husband is tolerating his treatments well. Thanks again for asking about me. I'm off to work, thanks God it's Friday! :)

Cindy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #46991 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic BCG Treatments
Cindy,
Been thinking about you lately.. How was your treatment this week?

Melissa...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cindy B.

9 years 7 months ago #46922 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic BCG Treatments
Back 5+ years ago when I had BCG treatments I asked my doctor about the turning every 15 minutes, which I'd read about, and he said it wasn't at all necessary. I always found that being up and about kept my mind off of "holding" the instillation. In fact, I sometimes went right from the urologist's office to do grocery shopping because the supermarket was nearby. I was fortunate to not have much urgency with my BCG treatments, except toward the end of the 2-hour holding period when I made sure to be home. I also liked sitting in a hot bath after the treatment, which helped with pain and any spasms.

Wishing all the new BCG folks the best of luck in their treatments.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

9 years 7 months ago #46920 by Cindy B.
Replied by Cindy B. on topic BCG Treatments
I am sorry he is having such a rough time. I am better today. Yesterday was rough for me.

My doctor told me I didn't need to turn every 15 minutes. She said she had seen research that showed it didn't really make a difference. I hope she's right. So I've just been standing and ironing for the 2 hours I have to hold it. Ironing keeps my mind off of having to go. And it's getting my ironing pile down! I'm going to ask her again to make sure. I didn't want to go through all this and find out I should have been doing it differently.

Anyone heard that it wasn't necessary to turn every 15 minutes??

Cindy

9 years 7 months ago #46919 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG Treatments
Melmac,

My URO laughed at my rotating 15 minutes. He said the bladder is so small it should be bathed in BCG either way as a mucsle. I did it and don't regret it. Heck, I'd stand on my head if I thought it would help.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 years 7 months ago #46917 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic BCG Treatments
Treatment number 2 is done. Hubby had some pain when the cath was put in. Treatments seem to knock him out. I had to wake him every 15 minutes so he could turn. I hate all of this...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne