BCG TREATMENTS AND SIDE EFFECTS

9 years 7 months ago #46635 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG TREATMENTS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Congrats on the BCG so far!!! You are doing great!

Yes, the statistics show (and I haven't looked the exact numbers up lately) that the maintenance regimen increases the effectiveness very significantly. Especially since there is a suggestion of high grade in your tumor, I would certainly push for doing the entire series of BCG. It isn't fun, but the alternative is worse!!!

You may be interested in reading about BCG on Dr. Donald Lamm's website
www.bcgoncology.com/treatment/bcg.html
He has been one of the experts in treating bladder cancer with BCG. His schedule of treatments can be a bit extreme...but all the information here is great.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #46630 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic BCG TREATMENTS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Hi There

The normal protocol for BCG treatments, are 6 weekly treatments.
If the treatments are successful, then a series of 3 weekly treatments over a period of 3 years, known as BCG maintenance treatments.
Wishing you all the best with your treatments.
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

9 years 8 months ago #46579 by Loucksy
BCG TREATMENTS AND SIDE EFFECTS was created by Loucksy
Hi, everyone, just had my 2nd treatment and basically no side effects! So happy about this and REALLY hope the trend continues! I am going to receive 6 treatments in total but I have been reading on the site where some are doing up to 22 treatments at a time? My question I guess is why so many and should I be advocating for more. My last pathologist report said there was a suggestion of higher grade cells in my last tumors so I really want to do the utmost in being pro-active!! Thanks in advance!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne