Help is there change in BCG treatment?

9 years 11 months ago #46201 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Help is there change in BCG treatment?
I was told to hold it for 1 hour. I was not told to lay down or to turn over every 15 minutes. And seeing that my ride home was about 45 minutes, I figured the ride was enough mixing for it!

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #46200 by Markq
Replied by Markq on topic Help is there change in BCG treatment?
I'm not sure if there is an "official" change in BCG hold time or not. I have see posts on Dr. Lamm's website stating that a 30 minute hold time may be adequate to receive the benefits of BCG therapy. Personally, I try for 2 hours hold time. If I can't hold it then I just go to the bathroom and don't sweat it. The fact that I've seen a shorter hold time suggested on Dr. Lamm's website makes me not be concerned if I don't get the full 2 hour hold time.

askdrlamm.bcgoncology.com/category/bcg-general/page/9/

There is one link where he advocates a shorter hold time. I know I've see it in a few other questions he's answered on his website as well. Dr. Lamm is considered an expert on BCG treatment and basically developed the protocol we use today. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10
BCG induction starting 12/17/10 followed by BCG maintance.

9 years 11 months ago #46197 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Help is there change in BCG treatment?
Hello... I have never had BCG treatments so I'm not much help with your question. I have seen posts by others who said they held it in for an hour, not sure if they were supposed to go longer or not. Perhaps they have determined that past the one-hour point that there is little additional benefit. One hour would certainly be more comfortable for the patient.

Hope your husband continues to do well over the course of his treatments.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

9 years 11 months ago #46192 by Theoks
Just arrived at hospital for my husbands first bcg treatment they said just changed protocal so BCG only is held in bladder for 1 hour not two hours . Has anyone heard about this . Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne