Anyone get a Sulfur Based Pill After BCG

9 years 11 months ago #46154 by Markq
Replied by Markq on topic Anyone get a Sulfur Based Pill After BCG
So far so good. I'm following Dr. Lamm's protocol and am on 3 weekly instillations once a year now. The last 3 were this January. I've never had an antibiotic after my BCG instillations and have never had a problem. Good luck to you!

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10
BCG induction starting 12/17/10 followed by BCG maintance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #46153 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Anyone get a Sulfur Based Pill After BCG
Thank you Mark! Tomorrow is my 5th treatment, and I will not take the one antibotic pill just in case it does interfere.

Question, looks like you had the BCG treatment in 2010 was it successful?

Regards,

Anne

9 years 11 months ago #46152 by Markq
It's theoretically possible for an antibiotic to interfere with the BCG response if the antibiotic has activity against the BCG bacteria. That's probably only an issue if you're taking the antibiotic on a regular basis prior to and during your treatment. A one time dose after catheter insertion probably won't interfere. By the time you body absorbs and processes the antibiotic you've already eliminated the BCG. A lot of antibiotics are eliminated from your body via your kidneys - and Bactrim is one of them. By the time it makes it into your urine I suspect the BCG has already done it's thing.

I still don't think it's a good idea to take an antibiotic just in case for reasons previously mentioned (side effects, resistance, etc.). Another possible reason to take one would be a traumatic catheter insertion. These reasons are rare and the vast majority of us don't need the antibiotic. They should be using antiseptic washes and wearing sterile gloves during the cath insertion and BCG instillation. Those steps are more important to preventing infection than a dose of antibiotic.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10

9 years 11 months ago #46150 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Anyone get a Sulfur Based Pill After BCG
I have always been offered antibiotic after cystoscopy, but after the first few scopes I refused it, a) because I don·t seem to be prone to bladder infections, and b)because it always seemed to cause diahorrea. I certainly have never been given any following BCG instillation - am not an expert, but would have thought it could reduce the efficiency of the treatment ???

9 years 11 months ago #46149 by Markq
You are probably getting Bactrim (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) if it's "sulfa based". I personally don't see the need for a one time dose of antibiotic after each catheter insertion. The exception to this would be if you've had multiple UTI's or some anatomic abnormalities that make you susceptible to them.

The problem with multiple one time doses of antibiotics given "just in case" is they can encourage the development of resistance to the antibiotic given. This could be a problem if you ever develop a "real UTI". This could make it harder to treat because one of you 1st choices in antibiotics are resistant. Simply put multiple exposure over time to the same antibiotic encourages the bacteria to become resistant to that antibiotic.

I would ask your doctor if it's really necessary to get that antibiotic.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10

10 years 7 hours ago #46132 by AnneH
Replied by AnneH on topic Anyone get a Sulfur Based Pill After BCG
All my research I have not seen anyone receiving a single dose of antibiotic after BCG treatment. I have reached out to Memorial Sloan Kettering to see if they have any knowledge of this being used. Will keep everyone informed if I get a response.

Thank you for being there for me!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne