Cancer Return and new Ureter problems

10 years 10 months ago #44658 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Cancer Return and new Ureter problems
My fingers are crossed on the CT scan. Let us know as soon as you know.

It could be other things beyond a spread. The ureter can cause an issue if it is restricting and forcing the kidney to work harder. I can also tell you that anxiety can cause kidney pain because it happened to me on my first recurrence but went away after the cystectomy and wasn't in my kidney until over four years later.

At the time, my local uro took fluid samples from both kidneys and told me it had spread to both. Then I started having pain in the kidneys. Then I went to top docs at University of Colorado and MD Anderson and they both suggested it was likely an error and not in my kidneys. After my cystectomy we did other tests which proved them right and it was not in either kidney.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #44645 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Cancer Return and new Ureter problems
Hello, was just checking in on Mike and seen your post. Sorry for all the pain, stress, and worry. It doesn't matter how many times ones been through this stuff it is always a shock! The false sense of security can be both a curse and a blessing. It's good you can forget about it and think you beat it, but such a shock when it returns. I have always thought you, like my wife has the hardest part in this whole cancer thing, being the caregiver. Hope you get the best possible news from the tests.
Wishing both of you the best!
Duke
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheWifeAgain

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #44640 by TheWifeAgain
Replied by TheWifeAgain on topic Cancer Return and new Ureter problems
Thank you Catherine. This IS the place to be at times like this!

CT scan complete so now my favorite part - sit and wait.

My husband's flank pain is not better but not worse. It must be quite painful because he usually takes the pain medicine they prescibe post TURBT surgery for a day or so but he has had to use it regularly and asked me to call for a refill today. I am assuming under the blanket of oxycodone there is some nasty pain and discomfort. Poor guy. Another indication of how under the weather he feels is that he has not been to work all week and I can count on one hand the number of times he has called in to work and he is 53 years old!

Just hoping for a simple fix and nothing new to be concerned about.

:(

Age 53 Currently
Bladder Cancer Diagnosis October 2006 T1G3
2011 Finally made it 6 month between Cystos
8/22/2011 Cysto in the OR
(BCG and BCG Maintenance over the years)
Graduated to yearly Cystos
Tumor found at first one year Cysto - TURBT 4/26/2013
Kidney pain - CT scan 5/1/2013

10 years 10 months ago #44637 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Cancer Return and new Ureter problems
Hello again... I am so sorry to hear about this latest development with your husband. It seems the physical discomfort may be easier to deal with than the emotional upheaval a recurrence brings with it. Hoping for the best possible outcome from the CT scan this afternoon.

I am very happy that you came to the forum to share your concerns. You are so right about this group understanding like no one else can unless they have been down this road.

Best wishes...
Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheWifeAgain

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #44636 by TheWifeAgain
Cancer Return and new Ureter problems was created by TheWifeAgain
After finally reaching the "one-year" plan in between cystos, there it was - a tumor hanging from the dome of the bladder at the one year cysto this past Friday. I guess we had a false sense of security that we had beat this cancer and I honestly did not think we would see a tumor during the cysto. BANG! Reality set in fast.

Hubby had his TURBT This past Friday April 26 and the tumor removal went smooth but our doctor noted that one of the ureter openings was very small and considered putting a stent in surgery but decided against it. He wanted a CT first (which is scheduled for today at 3pm). My husband also decided to tell me AFTER the surgery was over that he has been experiencing pain "here" (as he placed his hand directly on his right kidney area). He didn't want to say anything because he was afraid his cancer had spread. We must have had the "say something when someting is bothering you" talk a million times over the past 6 years.

Needless to say I am very worried what this CT scan will reveal.

MMC, I have read your story and recent happenings and you are one hell of a trooper. You have been such a inspiration to so many and I wish you the absolute best through the next step in your journey. I think we started posting approximately the same time and you and my husband were diagnosed very close together.

There are many posters whose stories and names are familiar to me and I have been catching up with my reading here. It's like coming home again and being able to have others who understand the joy and the fears unlike no others.

Even though I am not here often I am grateful I have a safe, comfortable and informational place to come when I need to.

I need to update the below stats!

Age 53 Currently
Bladder Cancer Diagnosis October 2006 T1G3
2011 Finally made it 6 month between Cystos
8/22/2011 Cysto in the OR
(BCG and BCG Maintenance over the years)
Graduated to yearly Cystos
Tumor found at first one year Cysto - TURBT 4/26/2013
Kidney pain - CT scan 5/1/2013

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne