Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?

10 years 10 months ago #44779 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
We learned with husbands uro, who is a uro/oncologist, it is sometimes in the hospital and sometimes in the office. He is very conservative do, and does the first 3 month cysto on everyone as an outpatient hospital procedure. He likes to run dye into the bladder and really take a good look at bladder lining as well as kidneys and ureters. Hubby's 6 month cysto will be done in the office.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #44778 by rbmc
Replied by rbmc on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
Cysto is always an office procedure. You are awake to join in the viewing, and can talk to the doctor.

11 years 1 month ago #44006 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
2 in office

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

11 years 1 month ago #43995 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
My husband is not T1...he was low grade and ta. I have the pathology report in front of me. And this is just a cysto, not a repeat TURB.

I guess we have to ask more questions as to why it is being done outpatient and why another CT scan??. When I asked the physician's asst. he said this is standard procedure for our doc?

11 years 1 month ago #43993 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
In my experience, cystoscopy (where they LOOK inside the bladder with a small camera) is normally done in the office. If there is something there that needs a closer look and a biopsy, a TURB (transurethral biopsy) is done under general anesthesia...this would usually be in a hospital outpatient facility. Of course, when anesthesia is involved, all the pre-op tests get done.

My urologist did a CT scan upon diagnosis, and then every two years thereafter.
Yes, a CT scan does involve a lot of radiation, and probably shouldn't be done unless "necessary." This is for you and your doctor to decide.

Sometimes people are a little confused about the differences between cystoscopy and TURB.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 1 month ago #43987 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Cystoscopy in office or outpatient?
For my first follow up it was done as an outpatient but that is because the uro wanted to take another biopsy and also removed some stents at that time. I did not have to get a ct scan but since I was put under I did have to have a EKG and blood work. Since that time all my cystos have been in the office with the only requirement that I give a urine sample while at his office prior to the cysto to check for cancer cells.

Joey

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne