Stage 1 High Grade Survivors

11 years 4 months ago #43663 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Stage 1 High Grade Survivors
I was diagnosed T1G3 in 2006, had TURB, chemo into the bladder, and have remained cancerfree until May this year, when my urologist picked up on a small abnormal area during a cystoscopy examination - I have since had BCG treatment and another TURB, which I am currently waiting for results on.I realise that that there was a high risk of progression, and with that in mind I have attended all my rechecks diligently, and even at the five year mark, have never gone to 12 month checks.But had my checks not been consistently clear for such a long time, I would have seriously considered going for the RC.
Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #43658 by cheryl3625
Replied by cheryl3625 on topic Stage 1 High Grade Survivors
Mike - I have not seen this article yet, but I found it to be very helpful. Thank you so much for the link, I have saved it to my Favorites folder :)

11 years 4 months ago #43657 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Stage 1 High Grade Survivors
Here is a good article. T1 is tricky. It is invasive but not "muscle" invasive.
High grade is obviously aggressive so some docs (and some patients) are more aggressive in how they want to treat it. Some patients want to hang on to their bladder as long as possible (which clearly raises the risk of progression) while others go for jettisoning the bladder to minimize risk of progression.

Good article that talks about what is sometimes referred to as the rule of thirds regarding T1G3.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684254/

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tcontadino

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #43656 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Stage 1 High Grade Survivors
Stage one is a better diagnosis than 2, 3, or 4. I am actually TA,G3 (just starting a tumor) with the TA being very similar to T1 and free 4.5 years & been fortunate to retain my bladder. I am around as well as many on this forum, many having been T2 or T3 even stage 4! So, prognosis is very good, you just have to be diligent & treat this correctly. I have almost come to the conclusion that stats are almost meaningless when dealing with cancer. Especially this particular cancer as the average age for DX I believe is 55-60. Meaning many of us will pass due to other causes. Genetic predisposition, getting a good care group & treatment and attitude are probably more important. There is plenty of hope and living!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

11 years 4 months ago #43655 by cheryl3625
Stage 1 High Grade Survivors was created by cheryl3625
Are there many stage 1 high grade survivors on this site? I have been seeing information online that seems to show T1HG patients eventually moving on to have RC. Other sites show a very good 5 year survival rate, but really nothing on the long term of 15 to 20 years or more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tcontadino

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne