bladder, prostrate cancer

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #42015 by tabio
Replied by tabio on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Mike, you are a jewell!!!
Thank you
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #42014 by tabio
Replied by tabio on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Thanks Mike for you information, I do have a positive mind set, even though as you suggest, it is a real shock!
I am going into an Oncologist this week and hope he can tell me more. At this point if there assumptions are correct and it is isolated to the prostate and bladder I do plan to discuss having them removed.

I didn't realize there were so many options available, which will definitely lead me to more questioning. Just curious from a patient point of view, and realizing every situation is different, what was your recovery time?

Again THANK YOU for the advise, it gives ma a much brighter picture of what to expect.

Incidentally, I will review each of the sites you have directed me too and keep all posted.
Again Thank you
David

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #42013 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Tabio,

Here are some things to read:

my.clevelandclinic.org/services/urinary_reconstruction_and_diversion/hic_urinary_reconstruction_and_diversion.aspx

The link above talks about the different types of diversions.

www.med.umich.edu/1libr/urology/postcare/cystectneobladder.htm

The link above talks about the kinds of things to do/expect after the surgery.

patienteducation.osumc.edu/Documents/IncontinenceExerProg.pdf

The link above talks about the pelvic exercises you can start doing now to better strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which is key to continence if you choose a neobladder. The neobladder is the one most often chosen by men because it is the closest to the original way things work.

Hopefully, these links will address a number of your questions and even some you didn't even know you should ask. We are here to help so ask more and we'll do what we can.

We have been in your shoes and are doing just fine now and we are here to tell you about it. After you get your surgery, we would like you to be here telling other folks about your experience and helping them to see that things are great on this side of the surgery. It's ALWAYS was scarier on the side you are now. Afterward, not so much.

Don't get me wrong. This is a big and serious operation. The first couple of days are really tough. However, it is worth the investment in the rest of your life.

At 69, my 83 year old father in law would say you're just a pup! He had his prostate out about eight years ago. He never had bladder cancer but the prostate is a scary one too. So, let's just forget about that "I've had a good life" talk and change that to "I'm HAVING a good life". Deal?

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #42012 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
David,

Lots of us have had the prostate (please note that "prostrate" means prone) and bladder removed.

We can all pretty much do what we want, when we want. Depending on the diversion you choose (neobladder, Indiana Pouch, or Ileal Conduit) or that winds up being chosen by your surgeon because of what is found when they are in there, it will mean certain lifestyle changes. It is all about what you need to do for each.

It's not one of those "Oh, I think I will give up because I don't want to be a burden" kinds of things anymore. It's a bit akin to saying you will skip the appendectomy because you don't want to be a burden.

I've been cancer free for over three and half years now. Scuba, golf, cycling, you name it. I have a neobladder. That is where they take a piece of your intestine and make a new bladder out of it and hook it up to the original plumbing.

The key is to get to a top surgeon who does a least fifty of these surgeries a year. That is where folks have the least amount of complications. They can do nerve sparing on the prostate removal so that erectile function can return in from a month or two up to two years but, if successful, it comes back just fine.

Right now you are likely dealing with the initial shock. Try not to get caught up in it and don't let anyone get you into a "Woe is me" kind of mindset. A positive attitude is half the battle.

Best of luck! Ask any specific questions you can think of and we will try to do our best to help you through this. It is definitely worth going through the surgery.

The people who didn't get the surgery? Most of them are dead so they can't really post. Not really a good option if you ask me.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 10 months ago #42010 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Hi
I am a female so i have only been through the bladder removal of this damned cancer thing. I too was just about 8 weeks short of my 69th birthday when I had radical cystectomy for muscle invasive bladder cancer. I will be the first to tell you that it is not an easy journey but very well worth all that I have been through. I have an ileal conduit, (a bag) and I am very satisfied with it. It is not a problem and I am able to do all that I did before. I am now almost 73 years old and 4 years cancer free I am a proud survivor.
Good luck to you in your journey and keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

11 years 10 months ago #42008 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
A positive attitude, and a clear mind are very good attributes to have. :cheer:

You sound like you have a handle on this. Now lets try and find the best answers we can. ;)

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne