bladder, prostrate cancer

11 years 10 months ago #42028 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Hi David:

I had bladder and prostate, both cancerous, removed 9/11/10 after BCG and Chemo and have been cancer free to this day. But one never knows I had a close friend and she had bladder cancer and after her BCG's she has been cancer free for 10 years.Hang in there and know thre are folks who will share with you along your journey and many suggestions given to me sincerely helped which included adjustment issue. Take Care, Herb

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #42024 by tabio
Replied by tabio on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Thank you for you response, I meet with a Oncologist in the morning, will find out at that point I guess which direction he is going to take me.
David

11 years 10 months ago #42022 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
David
I was also 69 when my bladder cancer was detected and my prostrate was enlarged. I elected to have both removed after 4 months of chemo. It was a time of great joy when my surgeon declared me “CANCER FREE”.

Like you I had serious doubts about not continuing with the medical solution. I decided that it was just the challenge I needed. Beat cancer was my battle cry.

The medical folks can take care of that area. It will be up to you to maintain a positive frame of mind. There are wonderful support people here who can offer advise. Our experiences can be helpful for you.

Life begins at 70.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

11 years 10 months ago #42019 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Boy is that the truth.....The more you learn .....The more questions you have. :dry:

That is good. It shows that your paying attention! :P

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #42017 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
David,

Glad to hear you have a positive attitude. As I said, that is half the battle. Not say you won't whipsaw around a bit emotionally, but being generally positive makes things go better.

Generally, one is in the hospital for 5-7 days. As for myself, I was in for 12 days. I had a kink in my intestines (that wasn't' figured out for over a year) and my intestines didn't wake up properly. I probably didn't walk enough either. If you look back at my posts, I am always harping about walking from the very first day. Also, chewing gum.

Where do you live? It is important to get to the best surgeon who specializes in bladder cancer. We can likely point you to a place. Top teaching hospitals are typically best.

As for recovery, I was working from home the first week I got out. My work is something that I can do with a laptop and phone though. I did a couple/few hours a day and then build up. I still had the catheter in (you will too) and my wife (nurse) did the flushing part for me.

I was able to fly again (typically how I get to clients-I'm a business consultant) in two months. The concern was blood clots with flying and hernia from lifting my carry on bag.

In the end, I wound up getting surgery again to fix my kinked intestine about a year and half or so after my original surgery. I also needed a couple more surgeries to repair multiple hernias around my incision. The hernia stuff was my own stupidity with my own carry on (generally overdoing things with moving furniture and lifting things) and I just can't help but help people struggling with their carry on bags on planes.

Some of the folks on here were out of the hospital in four or five days.
I was scuba diving again around a year after the surgery and skiing two years after. Others were faster but I was generally not in good shape to start with.

They say that FULL recovery takes about six months. I'd say I think I felt fully recovered after about four months. Your mileage may vary.

Hopefully a few of the others will jump in with their experience.

Good luck!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 10 months ago #42016 by tabio
Replied by tabio on topic bladder, prostrate cancer
Thank you Barbara for the kind words and information. I can tell you that this web site has been a real blessing with what I am finding out from others.
Appreciate your thoughts and prayers and will definitely keep all posted, as I take another step in this thing called life!
David

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne