Newly Diagnosed

12 years 2 weeks ago #41691 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic Newly Diagnosed
Glad to hear it! There are many more on this site that are far more educated than I am on this subject.

Sara Anne is one of our best. ;)

Just keep reviewing some of the older posts. You will see how much help these people can be.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 weeks ago #41690 by albyone23
Replied by albyone23 on topic Newly Diagnosed
Thanks Mark for your two posts. I have been searching for a support group for the last few days and I now know that I have found the right one. I will post the results of the pathology on Thursday.
Alby.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #41686 by upnorth
Here is some information from the American Cancer Society on the subject.

Personal history of bladder cancer

Urothelial carcinomas can form in many areas in the bladder as well as in the lining of the kidney, the ureters, and urethra.

Having a cancer in any part of the urinary tract lining puts you at higher risk of having another tumor. The tumor can form in the same area as before, or in another part of the urothelium (lining).

This is true even when the first tumor is completely removed. For this reason, people who have had bladder cancer need close,routine medical follow-up.

Age 55
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #41682 by upnorth
Albyone,

Sara Anne did a real good job with explaining things for you so I don't have much to add. The week feeling after the surgery is normal for a few days. It will get better. For me it seemed that after the third or fourth day, things started to get better much faster.

As for the question of weather or not you still have Bladder Cancer (BC) after having a cancerous tumor removed, my answer is yes. According to Dr. David B. Agus, "cancer is not something that you get or have, it is something that the body dose".

Once the body starts to get cancerous cells it will continue to produce them from that point on. How quickly they will produce is the real question. In order to stay ahead of the cell production the doctors have to keep checking you. If they see that the cells are producing rapidly they will step up your treatment. Such as, bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) treatments, radical cystectomy (RC), or Chemotherapy.

The first step in this process is to get the pathology report back to see if the tumor is invading the muscle, and to see if it really is a cancerous cell or not.

Lets all hope that the report comes back that it is not cancerous. And you will be in the clear. That is truly what we want for you.

Welcome and keep us posted on how things are going. We are always here, so just ask if you have any questions, and someone will help you out.

God Bless.

Mark

Age 55

12 years 2 weeks ago #41677 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newly Diagnosed
Albyone, I just wrote the most complete and wonderful reply to your post....then had a power glitch (having big rain storms here) and it disappeared into the ether! OK...I will try again, but I am sure it won't be so wonderful!

It appears that you have a preliminary diagnosis of a type of cancer that grows sort of like a little mushroom out from the lining of the bladder. The urologist removed this and has sent it to the pathologist for a complete analysis and diagnosis. If this diagnosis holds up, you are a very lucky man as far as bladder cancer goes! And yes, you will need to have cystoscopy (the office procedure, where a miniature camera is inserted so that the urologist can see the inside of the bladder...takes about 10 minutes) about every three months...usually for two years. Then, if everything goes well, every six months until five years have passed.
Then every year...forever. The reason for this is that bladder cancer has a nasty habit of recurring.

On occasion, when the pathology report comes back, it will say that there wasn't enough of the surrounding tissue to be sure that the tumor had not gone into the muscle. This is not an uncommon finding, and it is not unusual to have to have the TURB procedure done again in a few weeks. If this occurs, it is not a reason to panic, but a reason to be happy that the doctors are being so thorough.

I was diagnosed in 2009 and just had my second 6-month checkup this week. I mentioned to my urologist some of the work I am doing with the American Bladder Cancer Society and he laughingly said "why are you doing that? You don't have bladder cancer any more" So, I am not sure what the answer is to your question about whether you "still have bladder cancer." You DO have the possibility of it returning, which is why you need to be "religious" about your checkups.

There is a LOT of material on our web site about this disease, which you may wish to digest in small pieces. Those of us who have "been there, done that" or "been there, still doing that" are here to support you and answer your questions and concerns, as best we are able.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 2 weeks ago #41676 by albyone23
Newly Diagnosed was created by albyone23
On The 10th off March I was diagnosed with "transitional cell carcinoma" of the bladder. It was removed Friday the 23rd a week ago today. I am 78 years old and have survived prostate cancer. I see my Dr. on the 5th of April when I will learn the results of the pathology.
The Dr said that the tumor will likely return maybe one or more at a time and I will have to be scoped 2 to 3 times a year. Does that mean even though there are times when there is no tumor present I still have bladder cancer? That's what my wife took from her meeting with him right after the surgery. My first two days after surgery were not good I felt that I had been dropped off of a 10 story bldg. that is abated but I am fatigued always, weak in the knees and depressed most of the time.
I guess what I am asking is what I have written here pretty much the way this disease goes.
Albyone

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne