Non-healing bladder after Cancer resection

17 years 2 weeks ago #4260 by Mike
Ras I will tell you this you will most definitely need a referral from your primary Dr if you are thinking of doing this. You can call yourself but I am certain they will tell you to get referral from primary Dr. before the appt'. I am getting chemo now at Univ of Penn and I have seen my main Dr who is Dr. Wein, and also his colleague Dr. Malkovichz both needing referrals. Then when I saw Dr. Vaughn the oncologist for the chemo another referral. And each time I see these Dr's there is a co-pay except for the chemo if I just go in for treatment and no lab work not seeing Dr. Vaughn no co-pay. Anytime I have to see Dr. Vaughn here there is a co-pay. Hope this helps you out to me once you got referral and are seing the same Dr you think one co-pay would be enough but it does not work that way unfortunatly. Best Wishes, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 weeks ago #4226 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Non-healing bladder after Cancer resection
Ras,

I asked my Urologist today whether one needs a referral to the Urology Clinic at Chapel Hill.  He said that all you would need to do would be to call and make an appointment for yourself.

This is the information including phone number:

viper.med.unc.edu/surgery/urology/oncology.html

Here is Dr. Pruthi's resume (this was my surgeon)..

viper.med.unc.edu/surgery/detail.asp?ID=127

My Urologist also stated that it was sometimes difficult to get through on the phone line, but to keep trying.

All the best to you, and please keep in touch.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4182 by Rosemary
Ras,

I was very happy with Dr. Raj Pruthi at UNC Chapel Hill.  I do not know if you need a referral, but I will try to get an answer for you.  I can't imagine that you could be in better hands than those at UNC, but I did notice that Duke has a better rating all around for Urology and Cancer.  However, our Dr's here on the NC coast send their patients to UNC Urology and not to Duke.  I don't know why.

I also noticed that Baptist Hospital in Wake Forest has a very high rating for Urology.  Still, if it were me, I would choose UNC-Chapel Hill.  

I will get back to you on this issue of referral.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4178 by ras
Thank you Rosemary for your response,
You obviously have a lot of confidence in the doctors at Duke and UNC and I am not opposed to going there. Is there one or two in particular you could recommend? And can I call them myself or do I need a doctor's referral? My doctor gave me a recommendation of Bob Evans who is located in Greensboro area, are you familiar with him?
Thanks for your help,
RAS

17 years 3 weeks ago #4164 by Rosemary
Ras,

Yes, this whole ride is very scary, but lot's of people have lost their bladders and lived a long time to tell about it.

I'm kind of wondering if you need another biopsy?  Sometimes you gotta ask.  When I went for my 2nd opinion at UNC hospital in Chapel Hill, I asked for a biopsy from this well regarded Urological surgeon cause I just wanted him to do it.  He said, "I would be happy to do it here."   I just wanted top notch answers at that point, know what I mean?

On the front of the forum, under "Newly Diagnosed" there is a list of the top rated hospitals for Urology and for Cancer.   Why not check it out?  Also,  since you are this close, I wouldn't scoff at a chance to go to UNC or Duke University.  Others here at the forum may be acquainted with a good Urologist/Oncologist in your area.   I know one of our posters who lives in SC who is probably recovering from a radical cystectomy down in SC , even as we speak.

Very best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 weeks ago #4163 by ras
Rosemary, thank you for your response. I live in Charleston s.c., When first diagnosed I went for a second opinion and saw Dr. Kean at the medical university our teaching hospital. Dr.Kean reviewed my records and resection, but did not examine me.His advice was If i wanted to save my life get bladder removed. he scared me, so i never went back that was three years ago. Do you know of anyone in my area that has done research on my kind of problems?

Ras

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne