65 yr old male - T1 High-grade

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #42225 by billalda
Replied by billalda on topic 65 yr old male - T1 High-grade
Just checking in again .. been a while.

UTI's seemed to have subsided.... finally ... knock on wood, and some progress on retention issue. Had a serious elevated potassium reaction to Bactrim antibiotic with my BP meds (ACE + ARB) .... beware of Bactrim! (Google: "Bactrim potassium" for details)

Several tiny fragments removed during my 4th cysto/biopsy in late May. Only one showed some indication of squamous carcinoma. Dr. pleased overall.

We've skipped over BCG, and I started an abbreviated (3 week) mitomycin regimen last Wednesday (delayed one day due to late delivery of meds). Came home clamped for an hour and removed catheter myself in the morning. Sleep was elusive with the bag, but other than some red-tinted urine at first and some feelings of urgency while catheter sill in, no side-effects to speak of. Feeling pretty lucky this weekend.

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 weeks ago #41420 by billalda
Well, my second BCG (I thought) office visit and no BCG.... but left the catheter behind. A lot more pleasant ;-) coming out than going in. No more sleeping on my back in bed or in the recliner… and no more excuse for not helping my wife with the yard work.

The Cypro cleared up the bladder infection, but the doctor is concerned about my propensity toward unitary infections (he used some “-itis” word to describe this condition). Introducing another bacterial agent to the mix could cause problems. Given that risk, he is now considering going with Mitomycin and skipping the BCG. He’ll make a final determination ahead of my next Tuesday appointment

Just starting to read about Mitomycin vs. BCG. I see it is administered in the same way as BCG over six weekly sessions. Seems like BGC is preferred way for high-risk of reoccurrence situations. I guess doctor is thinking of me in a less overall risk category which is encouraging. A contributing factor here might be that he found my bladder to be free from any sign of re-occurrence during my last (third) cysto/biopsy. Of course another cysto is in order to check things out again in 3-4 months.

12 years 3 weeks ago #41323 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic 65 yr old male - T1 High-grade
Awe the memories. :laugh:

Here's to the best medicine of all SLEEP.

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 3 weeks ago #41321 by billalda
Good idea - I remember that first night home with a bag last November, I had a hard time sleeping. I did move to and from almost every piece of furniture in the house. The reclineer was comfy. The second night, I positioned the bag on the fron of my thigh rather than between my legs and was able to finally go to sleep on my sides with no worries.

12 years 3 weeks ago #41320 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic 65 yr old male - T1 High-grade
You may find it easier to sleep in a recliner, rather than a bed. I couldn't sleep in bed at all with that darn thing on.

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 3 weeks ago #41319 by billalda
Mark - I think I mastered bag placement and adjustment after coming home with one after the first cysto. Also that one had a removable cap that I feared loosing or worse yet, rolling over a night and causing an inadvertent blast-off. This one has some kind of screw-cap valve.

Bill

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne