It Might Be Back

12 years 5 months ago #39935 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic It Might Be Back
Jack--

Wishing you well and hoping it does turn out to be just an infection in your BCG-battered bladder (how's that for alliteration?). I'm sure you and your doctor most likely would have thought of this, but have you been taking any medications that could make you prone to bleeding (even aspirin)? Doing any unusual heavy exercise? My husband was on coumadin (warfarin), and after hauling a lot of brush and logs, slipping and falling in the snow, etc., he had some fairly significant blood and clots in the urine. His primary care doc was pretty sure it was due to the coumadin, but she nonetheless got him right in to the urologist (same one I go to) for a cystoscopy, and all was fine.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #39922 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic It Might Be Back
Jack,

OK, so maybe it's me in denial. I'm not convinced yet that it's a recurrence. Given that you've had problems the BCG it seems like it could be related to that.

If it is though, you certainly know the path to get rid of it.

I sure hope it's just something else though.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 5 months ago #39920 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic It Might Be Back
Jack, keeping fingers crossed that this is just a UTI,and responds to the antibiotics. This disease certainly keeps us on our toes, doesn·t it?
Diane

12 years 5 months ago #39913 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic It Might Be Back
I did have the same problem as Nancy, from treatment 22 to 30.
So if I do have a recurrence I doubt that BCG would be an option again. I was many months recovering from my last treatment. I did contact Dr. Lamm and explained my side effects, and he recommended no more treatments in the future.
All the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

12 years 5 months ago #39911 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic It Might Be Back
Jack: Great news today, I am still keeping you in my thoughts and hoping this is just the first step in "Good News"!

rbmc:
I don't know of a limit, but I know on my 21 thru 24 instillation of BCG, I had such a painful reaction, that it took many months to recover, so my Uro and I agreed that BCG would not be an option for me in the future. Four years later the BCG has stopped any re-occurrence...so far :laugh: I believe Jack had the same problem, but I am not sure.

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

12 years 5 months ago #39910 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic It Might Be Back
"The newbie sees a question. Is there a limit to BCG?"

The answer to this one is "yes and no." Several people who post regularly on the Forum have had more than one course of BCG. The problem is that, the more you get, the more sensitive your bladder gets. Many people find that after a while they just cannot tolerate it. Some people don't even get through the first series....Some do and are doing fine.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne