Occasional pain 1 month after 1st TURBT

12 years 6 months ago #39331 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Occasional pain 1 month after 1st TURBT
It will be good to discuss this with the urologist. IMHO it is unlikely that slow healing will make you more susceptible. One thing I DO know is that you do not want BCG if there is any possibility that you are not completely healed. A systemic infection with BCG can be nasty.

Also, it is my understanding that BCG is not as effective in TI papillary carcinoma as it is in CIS or other types.

Let us know what happens...

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #39330 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Occasional pain 1 month after 1st TURBT
Thank you for the replies Anita and Mike.

I think I'm just a slow healer, though there may be some minor unforeseen problem. The pains are a bit more frequent and sharper the last day or two (and I have not been touching or pressing on the area).

I have an appointment with the uro in 2 days and I will ask him about it then. I suspect that my BCG treatment will be delayed again.

I had only one tumor (about 1/2 cm), but the uro also took some healthy tissue from the other side of my bladder. Both resection sites appear to be hurting.

Also, is it possible that the slow healing can make disease progression more likely? The tumor was T1, but the uro took deep muscle samples to get reliable pathology. I'm a bit concerned that the muscle is now more exposed and accessible to cancer cells.

12 years 6 months ago #39269 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Occasional pain 1 month after 1st TURBT
Joseph,

Yes, it can sometimes take a while to heal.

What did your urologist say? If you've already been in to try to start BCG then it seems like a good question to have asked the doc.

I agree with Anita/Doug on the part about DON'T PUSH ON IT!!!
Isn't there some joke about that? My finger hurts when I push on it...well then...don't push on it!

You do NOT want to start BCG if you have any bleeding whatsoever. If that stuff gets into your bloodstream it is not a fun event.

All the best!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 6 months ago #39265 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Occasional pain 1 month after 1st TURBT
Joseph,

Every TURB has been different for Doug -- some more painful and take longer to heal, depending on the location and number of tumors removed. According to Doug, the scabs are a normal part of the healing process. It is a very GOOD thing that your doctor has delayed the BCG treatments until you are healed. Keep drinking your water; hope you feel better soon.

Anita (Doug's wife)

PS -- Doug said don't push on your abdomen right now if it hurts. Why don't you call in and talk to your regular doctor tomorrow? If it is REALLY bothering you, call the ER and ask for the urologist on call to call you today.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

12 years 6 months ago #39257 by Joseph
Hi All,

I had my 1st TURBT on August 4th. Since then I have had some discomfort while urinating, mostly toward the end when It felt like a sharp muscle ache. For the most part, that specific pain has stopped or become much milder when it does appear.

I have also seen pieces of dark scabbing passing in my urine over the last 2 weeks as well as smaller, light colored particles which appear much like peeling skin.

However, lately (over the last week) I have felt some sharp pain at the resection site, mostly if I press on that area of my lower abdomen. Sometimes there is a similar discomfort which appears spontaneously.

I'm concerned that I am not healing fast enough.

I saw the urologist about a week ago to get a urine test and start BCG treatment. But he found some white blood cells in the urine and told me that BCG would have to be delayed.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems that a month is a long time to heal.
And I am very concerned that it has delayed my BCG treatment.

For now I am just drinking plenty of water to keep the bladder acidity level as low as I can.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne