Recovering after surgery

17 years 11 months ago #489 by mildew
Replied by mildew on topic Recovering after surgery
I see nobody has replied to this Wildbill so I thought I would tell you of my experience. I had 6 weeks of BCG finishing March 30 this year and the Nurse never cleaned me up. Like you she just gave me a cloth and I had to clean myself up. A bit embarrasing but you get used to it after a while. After I got home and emptied my bladder I would shower and change my clothes. It didn't seem like any big deal but as the Nurse wears all the safety gear during administration I wondered if this could harm me in some other way. However, no after effects came up but it would have been better I think if they cleaned you up properly at the time of administration. I don't want to be critical as I beleve the medical people do a tremendous job and must come across some pretty sad cases from time to time. I live in Perth Western Australia.

Cheers :)

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 years 3 weeks ago #388 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Recovering after surgery
Hey Speed Racer! Kaiser in So. Cal is my provider. When I went for my 1st Urology exam, which was on 1/10/06, my wife didn't tell me about the old "scope-a-rama". She said she did not know. Right! Anyway, I know they put the surgical red stuff all over you (sterilizing stuff). My question to you is, when the doc was done with the exam, did he or the nurse clean the stuff off of you, or did they just tell you to take a towl and clean yourself and go get dressed in the bathroom. Quite humiliating at the time.  Just wondering cuz I feel the nurse should clean you up instead of getting that stuff all over your clothes and stuff. What are your thoughts or what happened to you?  :-/ :-/ 8-)

Bill H
dob 4-19-1955
Live in la.ca
Plumber 1972----forever
12 grandkids
5 great grandkids

18 years 3 weeks ago #387 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Recovering after surgery
Hi! Thanks for your comments. I start BCG treatments the second week of April. Thanks to you, it doesn't sound so scary with the catheter part. My surgery was 2/20/06. It was an invasive tumor but aggressive that's why he recommended BCG. Again thanks for your info., Speed Racer. Will let you know how it goes in April. C-ya!

Bill H
dob 4-19-1955
Live in la.ca
Plumber 1972----forever
12 grandkids
5 great grandkids

18 years 3 weeks ago #372 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Recovering after surgery
Hi Speed Racer,

Thanks for your message, I wish you all the best with the BCG treatments.
Wendy

18 years 3 weeks ago #371 by BrianP
Recovering after surgery was created by BrianP
I am a 49 year old male just reporting for the first time on this site. Maybe some of this information will help others. I had been experiencing an urgency to go, some burning and passing blood clots during urination for about 6 months prior to diagnosis on 12-19-05.
I had surgery on 1-19-06, Dr. discovered a T1 aggressive cancer. I had a catheter in for 4 days after surgery. Pulled it out myself at home. (Ouch)
Started BCG treatments on 2-24-06. Just finished my 4th treatment.
Observations;
1. After surgery it took a good two months for the pain to go away during urination.
2. Medication used, Oxibytinn for bladder muscle relaxer and pain reliever. Paridium for urinary tract irritation relief.
3. BCG treatments only side effect is feeling a little tired 1-2 days after treatment. Mild discomfort during insertion of catheter.
4. No problems with urgency or leakage.
5. Feeling back to normal this week.
I have a good medical team and urologist, Kaiser Hospital Northern California.
Future plan;
Cystoscope and biopsy planed 30 days after end of BCG treatments.
Then set course of action from results.
Best to all.
:)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne