3 years later... it seems to be back, but?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #38789 by gabriel21
Replied by gabriel21 on topic 3 years later... it seems to be back, but?
News!

TURB yesterday through the Spanish social security system. Biopsy was taken (results in 1-2 weeks).

The small tumour was removed; surgeon says it was superficial. He also removed my father's prostatic adenoma and took a biopsy of that too.

Mysterious bit:
The doctor noticed the right side of the prostate was too hard and pointed this out in his report: bilobate prostate with stony right lobe.
He then announced that he will need an extra surgery to take a biopsy of it.
What do you make of this? Have you ever heard of any similar cases?

Thanks so much! Hugs to everyone

My father is a male, 65, nonsmoker. Hematuria 01/08 TURB: T1 G3 widespread bladder+prostatic urethra; 3-month BCG.
Clean until 02/11: small TURB with no biopsy; 06/11 tumour detected TURB 08/11: awaiting biopsy, prostatic adenoma removed. Biopsies show both were benign. (...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #38577 by gabriel21
Thanks Diane and Pat for your comments.

We've tried to hurry things, but almost two months have passed by and we're not being given a surgery date!

Frustration and fear have increased at home... my father insisted he wanted to wait. Finally we've convinced him to go private with this. Another factor helped him realise the sooner the better; his brother (my uncle) was diagnosed bladder cancer too two months back and after two surgeries doctors have decided to remove his bladder.

Tough times for the family. We're trying to keep positive.

Pat, the doctor says FISH tests are not necessary. :-(

My father is a male, 65, nonsmoker. Hematuria 01/08 TURB: T1 G3 widespread bladder+prostatic urethra; 3-month BCG.
Clean until 02/11: small TURB with no biopsy; 06/11 tumour detected TURB 08/11: awaiting biopsy, prostatic adenoma removed. Biopsies show both were benign. (...)

12 years 8 months ago #38240 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic 3 years later... it seems to be back, but?
Gabriel,
I am presuming that if they are talking of a 2 month wait before doing a TURB that your father is in the social security system. I know it is difficult to get them to schedule things more quickly, but they can be pushed. I needed treatment for a problem back in 2007, and the social security were talking of a wait of almost 7 months ( not cancer)- I had a consultation with a private doctor, took in his report and reccomendation for treatment and although they were very reluctant I received the treatment quickly on the social security system. They are very good at fobbing people off (and sometimes I think priority is not given to older people, but to those who are still paying in to the system, which is grossly unfair). A private consultation with my urologist costs up to 200 euros depending on what tests he does. I would try and put some pressure on them to give your dad·s case a higher priority, especially given that his initial diagnosis was T1G3.
Diane

12 years 9 months ago #38205 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 3 years later... it seems to be back, but?
It is entirely possible that a new tumor grew within 3 months. Has the uro also performed cytology tests or FISH tests? These are good biomarkers for high grade...not so great for low grade but its a marker.
pat

12 years 9 months ago #38199 by gabriel21
The story continues... Three months after the miniTURB with no biopsy or BCG, a new check reveals another tiny tumour next to the one that was fulgurated:

was it there before and the surgeon missed it? (could be but not likely)
is it a new recurrence? (in such a short time span!)

The thing is there is at least a two-month waiting list for this one to be TURBed and the surgeon now suggests biopsy.

I personally feel fluorescent/blue-light machinery should be a must in 2011.

13 years 1 month ago #36501 by gabriel21
I agree Diane; our problem is we can't get a second opinion in the Canaries and the doctor insists the tumour is too small to get a biopsy...

Thanks for your reply

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne