cysto

13 years 3 months ago #35718 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic cysto
I agree with many here-thinking about it is worse than the procedure. I have had cystos with and without the local anesthetic (one uro did bladder washes for FISH and the lidocaine messed the test up). I would rather have the cysto than the BCG. Not my favorite procedure, but glad to have the checks every six months.

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #35711 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic cysto
My doctor prescribes 20 mg of generic valium for me to take about an hour before the cysto. I always keep my eyes closed throughout the procedure.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

13 years 3 months ago #35700 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic cysto
P.S. Now that I've had my bladder and prostate removed, I'm pretty sure I could do my own cysto. I do know that I was scared to death of the idea of potentially having to self catheterize after getting my neobladder. I learned, thankfully, that without that prostate catheterizing is a piece of cake. I say thankfully, because I do have to catheterize all the time so I'm pretty darn glad there is no pain associated with it. Not even 'discomfort'.

That damn prostate was a pain in @$$ for years so good riddance to it!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #35699 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic cysto
For men, the pain can be from non-existent to severe. The prostatic sphincter is often the area of the most discomfort/pain. Enlarge prostate (BPH-Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia)can make things much worse as the prostate enlarges and puts even more pressure on the urethra. Pushing a scope through that point can be pretty bad for some but for MOST it is better categorized as discomfort. Usually, once past that point, it is not painful.

If you experience pain, make sure to tell the doctor and ask about something to make it better. The numbing gel should be left in for 10 minutes before the actual procedure if it's going to do much good. Sometimes, docs will go as far as giving a valium or something just to relax you enough and to take the edge off.

Everybody is different so just because it is painful to one, doesn't mean it is to another (and vice versa).

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35672 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic cysto
I have never been put to sleep for mine. He dosn't even use a pain med, just ky jell. It's not painfull, just a little uncomfertable, and I get to see what is going on in there. I have been doing this for 6 years every 3 mounths, because of my reacerances every 9 mounths to a year!! ( sorry about the spelling )!!!! :ohmy:

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

13 years 3 months ago #35668 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic cysto
I would call our lovely procedure "uncomfortable" but not really painful. Yup, it still isn't any fun. This is a lot less stressful than other types of cancers and those tests! Once it's over I pee funny for a few hours and that is about it.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne