Dental work scheduled

13 years 4 months ago #35403 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Dental work scheduled
Chip..i received this from a close friend of mine who is a dentist who also does dental implants. Take it for what its worth.
"Hi Pat,
Just as a precaution, I would want to make sure there were no existing infectious processes going on, even if they were sub-clinical and asymptomatic. The implant surg is being performed in a non-sterile environment, by definition, and therefore will automatically generate some signs of that post-surg. I would be less concerned about what the urologist says and more concerned about the dentist seeking to minimize the PO complications. Simplest scenario, if he develops PO infection signs is it flu, surg-trauma related, reaction to BCG, or sign of weakened immune system due to one/all of the above? Following the BCG so closely with such a surg, if it complicates the etiology that much, then it can only complicate the choice of ABO treatment equally as much if not more. I know he seems ready to just get it over with, but his eating issues didn't start yesterday, and depending on the type of implants and the type of prosthetics it could be a 4-6 month process of restoration. My primary surg rule over 30 years has been.....start with as healthy a surg field and tissue as possible....increase success rate....decrease PO complications. All of this is, of course, just my humble opinion. Tell him not to be too intimidated by them complaining that they have all the time scheduled already. I know it's kind of short notice, but remember he is probably paying the dentist a "small mortgage on the house" to do this. He will live with the rescheduling"
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #35381 by Patricia
hmmmmmmm..i'm leaning the other way
What are the common side effects of treatment with TICE® BCG?
You should talk to your doctor about possible side effects associated with TICE® BCG treatment. Some reactions such as painful or frequent urination can be related to irritation of the bladder. These symptoms typically begin 4 to 6 hours after instillation and last 24-72 hours. They are usually seen after the third treatment and tend to increase in severity after each administration. Other symptoms, such as flu-like symptoms, fever, fatigue, and chills may affect your whole body. These symptoms also may get more frequent or worse with subsequent treatments
www.ticebcg.com/Consumer/faqs/index.asp
i'm such a spoiler arent i?
pat

13 years 4 months ago #35377 by chip1558
Replied by chip1558 on topic Dental work scheduled
I just sent out a question to Dr Lamm and will anxiously await his opinion. Flu symptoms seems significantly lessened today just 24 hours after last BCG #4 so I am leaning toward the direction that they are flu not treatment related.
This is a great place to post concerns.,thank you

13 years 4 months ago #35376 by Patricia
hmmmmmm..BCG can cause flu like symptoms. I don't know..want to make sure nothing systemic is happening. i think we should ask Dr. Lamm
www.bcgoncology.com/drlamm/askdrlamm.html

13 years 4 months ago #35374 by chip1558
Replied by chip1558 on topic Dental work scheduled
Thanks Jim!
I have thought about going that route myself. Right now four of the from lowers are loose as a goose and I think if I figure correctly I can save about 600 dollars if I take those out myself on the way to the dentists office.
I am getting the full range of lower teeth replaced although another option is to piece meal it around the good ones I have. I have asked around and it seems like the best way to go is to bring it on and go for the whole package.
Thanks for the message. Laughter is by far the best way to go for all this stuff. Happy holidays.
I was in Ann Arbor for some courses on Audiology several years ago. It reminds me of a larger version of the town I am in; Ithaca.
Be well, chip

13 years 4 months ago #35373 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Dental work scheduled
Chip, I would be glad to help you.
I have some very large plyers.

Best of luck, Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne