"Inflammation wins over cancer..."  re: BCG's

17 years 2 months ago #3733 by wendy
That's incredible Fallon, thank you for telling me. And say hi to your doctor next time you see him...
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3556 by joanie
Thank you Rosemary that was interesting after having BCG for 4 years I did not know all the information.

Wendy my doctor was the one that told me about Web Cafe and I have been so thankfull I found you all.

17 years 2 months ago #3545 by wendy
Thanks Rosemary. I guess you know O'Donnell is the head of WebCafe's advisory board and has been supportive of the patient community for many years. We started communicating in '98! and he's been extremely helpful with addressing questions and giving serious direction...

He's got a few websites, all are referenced throughout the WEbCafe site. These sites give tons of info about BCG and the BCG+IFN (interferon ) combination that he was behind.

He's also busy with new, innovative combinations for intravesical chemo that is bound to be in trials very soon. O'Donnell is one of the top uro-oncs in the field, and I'm talking world-wide. He's accomplished a lot for such a young guy...

Wendy

17 years 2 months ago #3528 by Rosemary
When I try to explain to friends and relatives about BCG's and the attenuated tuberculosis cells, many will respond with a look :-? and a question...."HOW in the world did they figure that one out?"  Good question, I mean....did TB just jump into a Petrie dish full of bladder cancer (kind of like penicillin?)?   It seems that someone in the medical field noticed  that people with TB had a much lower incidence of bladder cancer.

I was googling for more info, and I came across this article by our friend Dr. Michael A. O'Donnell and it is called...
"Recruiting an Old Ally for Battle: Inflammation Wins over Cancer in BCG1-Treated Bladder Tumors"

This is the best, most thorough and easy to understand explanation of the who, what where and why
of BCG that I have come across yet.  I'm not sure if this is posted on the BCWC home page or not, but thought I would share it here.

Good article,
Rosemary

www.uihealthcare.com/news/currents/vol3issue3/5bladdertumors.html

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne