Breakfast or not on morning of BCG

13 years 4 months ago #35066 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
Side effects tend to be cumulative with BCG. Some people get them early but most find the later treatments to be harder than earlier ones. Many can drive themselves home afterward but you should have a backup plan in place just in case you get something more severe.

I had a really bad reaction but it didn't hit me until later in the day so I was still able to drive myself home. My wife never came with me for the BCG. She came to some of the cystos, because she wanted to see it on the screen when they did it.

Mike

PS: Glad your husband made it home and was able to come with you.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #35064 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
Kimberly..if you haven't started drinking yet..START...lots of water...now you want to get that stuff out of you.
pat

13 years 4 months ago #35063 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
They reopened I-70 around 10:30 last night, so my husband rolled in somewhere around 1:45 a.m., and he was there with me for every minute of that entirely boring two hour process. Now that we know what to expect, I won't have a problem going by myself, but we just didn't know what might happen on the first go 'round.

I had expected that I was going to be miserable for the entire two hours, feeling like my bladder was full and I really had to go pee. I didn't have that at all. I did get up super early and hefted some weights, drank water until 5:00 a.m., and then taught my class at 6:00 a.m. By the time I got to my appointment at 9:00 a.m., my bladder was pretty well emptied, and they had to catheter me to get a sample.

(I didn't realize that this 6-week process might take up to 9 weeks in the event they have to cancel if there's any bad stuff that shows up in the urinalysis. I learned something new today!)

Anyway, I'm back at home, and I have a bit of a headache and I feel a little draggy, but that could be the early wake up call and the lack of coffee this morning. In any case, I'm going to hang out on the sofa and see what's on Turner Classic Movies this afternoon. :)

I haven't used my "biohazard bathroom" yet, but it's equipped and ready to go.

13 years 4 months ago #35061 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
Oregon is expecting a LOT of snow in the mountains tonight, and if we are lucky none on the valley floor (where Portland is). Hope they are right!!

I have never had anyone with me for cystoscopy or BCG...really don't have anyone to take! Plus, I prefer to be by myself when uncomfortable. I live about 30 minutes from the uro...counting walking to the parking garage. Do ask for mid-day appointments so I am not in rush hour traffic (Ouch, that would be HORRIBLE)
and don't do grocery shopping on the way home from BCG!

You will do just fine.

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 4 months ago #35057 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
I know this is your first appointment so you'd want to have someone with you. For what it's worth I've always gone by myself and am none the worse for the wear. However, my uro's office is literally 4 minute's drive from my house. My first BCG appointment was scheduled when my husband had something urgent he couldn't postpone or skip, and though I wanted him there, once I saw how easy it was I decided I didn't need him to be there for subsequent treatments. He does still offer to come, but I always turn him down. He used to come with me for my 3-month cystoscopies, but somewhere along the line we stopped that too (I think it was sometime after I'd had my second TURBT). I never thought I'd consider my check-ups as something routine, but believe it or not, that day may come for you, especially if you receive a series of "all-clear" results as I have.

Sorry about the snow storm! Hope all goes/went well.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

13 years 4 months ago #35049 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic Breakfast or not on morning of BCG
My husband is driving home from Denver and they closed the interstate!! He is still a good 175 miles away, and my BCG appointment is at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. When he left on Sunday, I knew this was going to happen, but I am not getting much comfort out of "I told you so" at the moment.

We have someone lined up to go with me, but I wanted him to be there. I hate winter!!!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne